Review of Love Letters to the Virgin Mary

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Review of Love Letters to the Virgin Mary

Post by Moo Reny »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Letters to the Virgin Mary" by David Richards.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Love Letters to the Virgin Mary: The Resurrection of King David by David Richards is divided into five books. The book begins with a preface that talks about how imagination is more powerful than knowledge and about how the major religions exist based on each other's knowledge, including Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. It goes on to explain that a belief cannot be forced on anyone. This book is a love letter between King David and the Virgin Mary.

The author is someone who struggled to surrender his life to Jesus totally, and in the book, there are two narrators, one of whom talks about writing to Mariah, a woman he loves but who seems to be dead. This narrator is a Spanish soldier, full of admiration for his late lover; he writes letters about his life since the last time they saw each other and about events that reminded him of her; as a kid, the narrator played a lot of war games; and the second narrator, as a child, seems to have an imaginary friend in his head, Jesus, who he seems to talk to; what became of the first narrator after his wife and son were murdered? Did he seek revenge? How did both narrators find their way to Christianity and know Christ? Read this book to find out.

This book taught me many things, including how the Romans learned the art of war from the Greek Marcus, an emperor who is a man of foresight, and how enhanced sight and visualizing the battle ahead of time can help commanders discern their opponents' aim. One lesson I learned from this book is that "what we focus on, we become." I like how the author was open about his struggle with his faith and how feelings were expressed sincerely in this book.

The way the author painted the narrators discovering their faith is so beautiful; there was no rush at all, and we could see how their lives progressed until that point. The author's writing style is skillful and brilliant, and though the first chapter may feel confusing, as you read along, the whole book takes on a form and becomes engaging. It's amusing how the author combined a romance story, grief, and information about soldiers' daily lives.

There are a few things I didn't like about this book. The headings of the chapters and the grouping seemed a little confusing as well, switching from the Roman soldier perspective in the Spaniards to the life of David, who might be the one writing the letters. It took me a lot of time and patience to understand the book. The book seems to have been professionally edited, as I only spotted a few errors while reading it. I rate it four out of five stars.

I recommend it to readers who love the military or love reading about wars and the lives of soldiers in general. They will be fond of this book because it contains much information that centers on the lives of soldiers and warriors; there are also mentions of quantum physics in the book. Christians and non-Christians who are open-minded and don't mind reading about Jesus and the Christian faith will also like this book.

Love Letters to the Virgin Mary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

When it comes to knowledge and imagination, I don't agree with the author that imagination is more powerful than knowledge, I think they both work coherently to give the best results. Nice review, by the way, I love how the reviewer talked about King David and the Virgin Mary.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This is one of my favorite quotes as well, "what we focus on, we become." I like how you summarize the book. It was clear what the book is all about. I would love to read all the letters to Virgin Mary. Thanks for your wonderful review!
me_the_devil_princess
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by me_the_devil_princess »

Here there are 2stories about the King David and Mary and Jesus such a good story.
Last edited by me_the_devil_princess on 19 Jan 2023, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

I do not understand what this book is about. But I think some will do so. However, I think I'll pass over this one. Good review.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

One thing that picked my interest in this book is the title. I want won't find out from the book who wrote letters to the virgin mary. Good job.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This is one of my favorite quotes as well, "what we focus on, we become." I like how you summarize the book. It was clear what the book is all about. I would love to read all the letters to Virgin Mary. Thanks for your recommendation and the wonderful review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is an interesting book. It doesn’t sound like it’s a Christian book though there are the instances of Jesus and the Bible. I’ll love to read it. Great review!
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

In as much as you review was well detailed and explained, I still had a hard time in trying to understand what the book is about. I believe reading the book would help me better get the story.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I had a quite a difficult time grasping the concept of this story. On one hand, you talked about Mary and King David, on another you talked about spanish man and his lover. It seems the book has a complex plot. Interesting review.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

This book seems like a beautiful and knowledgeable read. I liked the part about the Spanish soldier writing to a woman. Thanks for the review.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

I'm a Christian by religion and faith, and I'm highly convinced this book would make so much sense to me. Thanks for the well written review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I agree with the author that belief can't be forced on anyone. The book title is catchy to me and I look forward to reading the book.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

A love letter between David and Virgin Mary? I am confused. However, if there's anything I like about this book. It's the fact that it includes some history. Thanks for the review.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

I like that this book sounds historical and Christian as well, and I like that the dangers if bad companionship bad advice and bad friends can bring to our lives. Sounds like a book one must read carefully to understand. Welldone

Return to “Historical Fiction”