Review of My Brother’s Keeper

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joule Mwendwa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Review of My Brother’s Keeper

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Brother’s Keeper" by PWLong.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

My Brother's Keeper by P. W. Long is a book about an old African American man trying to solve the puzzle of his brother's death eight decades ago. 

Three friends, DB, Edward Baker, and Rabbit, emerge from a limousine to their retirement residence in Palm Haven Village. DB had built a great business empire, but because of his age, he had handed its control to his grand nephews and nieces. On his 100th birthday celebration, the scene shifts to a recollection of DB's youth memories. At a young age, Miss Josephine introduced him to the gambling business. The business was meant to employ and feed African Americans who never got decent jobs. One day DB got a call about an attack on his friends and family, some of whom were hiding in the bush. Since then, DB has yet to hear from his brother Billy again. The scene shifts back to the present, where a man is discovered possessing Billy's ring. DB wants to face him to get the answers he has been looking for.

There are many likable aspects in this book. First, I appreciate the author for writing a simplified and easy-to-read book. I encountered no problematic vocabulary in this book. Furthermore, I liked how present and past events alternate in this book. By connecting the present and past events in the story, readers analyze the relationship between the two events, and from the result, they can predict future events in the storyline. That helps them fully absorb the story and makes the book more appealing. I also enjoyed the mysterious scenes in this book, for example, when DB's father, a preacher, gets out of the house with a gun. In another event, Josephine takes DB to an older woman, who gives him a mysterious bag for protection.

Additionally, this book tackles critical real-life experiences that most readers will find relatable. For example, racism, especially the victimization of African Americans, is a well-known thing in today's society. The book also created real emotions, which I felt physically. For example, I felt sad seeing how African Americans were harassed and even killed in the story.

However, I realized a problem with the book's numbering. The page numbers were merged with sentences without proper spacing. I wonder if this error is only in the EPUB book format I used alone or if it occurs in other formats too.

Nevertheless, the error did not affect my love for this book. The book was professionally edited, and I disliked nothing about it. Therefore, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend My Brother's Keeper to lovers of revenge stories.

My Brother’s Keeper
View: on Bookshelves
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Could this man solve the puzzle of his brother's death? The novel sounds thrilling and captures real emotions in readers. This one caught my attention. And I enjoyed your wonderful review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Joule Mwendwa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 21:46 Could this man solve the puzzle of his brother's death? The novel sounds thrilling and captures real emotions in readers. This one caught my attention. And I enjoyed your wonderful review!
Wow I am flattered by that :D Thank you so much for your compliment :D
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela

Return to “Historical Fiction”