Review of Ambitions

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of Ambitions

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ambitions" by Frank Baillargeon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ambitions: The Life and Love of John and Susannah Morrissey is a book written by Frank Baillargeon. This book described the life of John Morrissey, an Irish man who arrived in Troy, New York, with his family when he was still a toddler. Hustling his way around to get enough money for his family's upkeep, John started fighting around. His journey as a prizefighter began, and he soon grew popular around. John met and received help from a lot of people along the way. Cunningham, Rynders, Piers, Hamilton, and Captain Smith, amongst others, were some of the people who helped him. He made long-lasting friendships and connections with them. He then met Susannah, the Captain’s daughter, and their blossoming friendship began.

I loved this book so much. Frank is such an excellent writer. I could barely make ten grammatical errors from the book. I also loved the incorporation of certain Irish terms while writing. It made the story seem very realistic. Despite the fact that most biographies I had read in the past were boring, this book seemed to be the exact opposite. It was such an interesting read. I am not a fan of cuss words, but I saw myself tolerating the cuss words Frank used in this book. It made the book more fun, and I could not help but imagine that that was how the Irishmen and Americans sounded then. He made sure not to use the cuss words a lot, as that would have been a problem.

I really could not see anything wrong with this book. My only issue was that I had to google a lot of words so that I could understand the read better. Frank used a lot of ambiguous words peculiar to certain races, so it was a bit difficult to understand. This interrupted my reading as I read the book with a dictionary by my side.

I rate this book four out of five stars. The reason for the rating is that the book was such an amazing read. I genuinely enjoyed every page of this book. The one star I deducted was for the fact that I could not read a complete page without visiting google or the dictionary. It interrupted my reading.

I recommend this book to lovers of biographies and those who love history. This book is also recommended to people who love a cliché grass to grace story.

Ambitions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

Wow, what a fantastic review this is. I think the author of this novel should be commended for such a fantastic job. Nice review.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Your review was very interesting to read. Now I want to know more about the journey of John Morrissey in New York
varshini Babooram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by varshini Babooram »

John has values in life how to take care of his family as an adult and because of presents and kindness he was able to get help and found love along the way. I must say nice review and the credit goes to the author.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

This sounds like a very interesting read, and I like that the author uses Irish terms to make the story more credible. Perhaps a later edition of the book could contain a glossary of Irish terms at the end to improve the reading flow.
Ebuka Ogbunanya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ebuka Ogbunanya »

Nice review, love the way you introduced the story plot, and gave one an idea on what to expect from reading tge book.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

It would be interesting to read about life in New York during those times. John seemed like a likable character and am glad a lot of people helped him along the way. There is much to say about humanity. Great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”