Review of 90 Miles to Freedom

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of 90 Miles to Freedom

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "90 Miles to Freedom" by Jeffrey J. Kutcher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Twenty-one-year-old Amaury Torres finds himself drifting into dehydrated delusion on the vast open waters of the Atlantic ocean. Traversing the 90 miles from Cuba to America didn’t seem like much during the planning phase of his escape, but the unforgiving heat of the unrelenting sun had the power to convince him otherwise. Why did young Amaury risk his life, leaving everything he knew behind? His refusal to conform to communism under the dictatorship of Fidel Castro made him a traitor to Cuba’s strict government, but Amaury’s journey was a lifetime in the making. Discover his fate in 90 miles to Freedom by Jeffrey J. Kutcher.

Amaury’s gripping tale had me hooked from the opening pages. The author did an excellent job of mixing the historical details surrounding Amaury’s story with the personal highlights of the young man’s journey. I enjoyed learning about the historical events that led to and sparked Amaury’s anti-revolutionary beliefs. Many of the events in Amaury’s life showed how difficult life was under communist rule, including limited water distribution to the Solars, where the poorest people, like the Torres family, lived. Kutcher created a powerful image of how a forbidden bottle of Coca-Cola initially sparked rebellion in the son of one of Cuba’s influential generals. Kutcher also shared the harsh conditions that Amaury survived in his Cuban military training and his deployments in Angola and Nicaragua. While it was difficult to imagine the mental strain that Amaury had to endure, it was inspiring to watch him overcome one challenge after another in his young life.

My favorite part of this book was discovering that the author based it on the true story of Amaury Torres. Jeffrey Kutcher met him through a business partnership later during Amaury’s adult life. This book pays tribute to the awe-inspiring tale of survival and true grit that brought the novel to a noteworthy conclusion. Each scene became more impactful as I thought about Amaury’s childhood antics, his time serving in the Cuban military, and his journey to America and beyond. I found the ending very satisfying; it made the book well worth reading!

Occasionally, the exposition of the historical facts went on longer than I would prefer, which was my least favorite part. I still highly enjoyed the story. Unfortunately, there were lingering typos that were slightly distracting while reading. Therefore, I give 90 miles to Freedom four out of five stars.

I’d recommend this educational and inspirational novel to readers interested in what it was like to grow up in Cuba under Fidel Castro. Amaury’s tale would appeal to readers who enjoy stories of survival and clinging to personal beliefs despite the consequences. There were instances of non-borderline swearing throughout the novel but no erotic content.

90 Miles to Freedom
View: on Bookshelves
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Recently, I realized I enjoy reading books that has to do with journey on the sea. I’ll like to read this too. What could have made this young man take this dangerous journey?
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

Twenty-one-year-old Amaury Torres finds himself drifting into dehydrated delusion on the vast open waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Traversing the 90 miles from Cuba to America didn’t seem like much during the planning phase of his escape, but the unforgiving heat of the unrelenting sun had the power to convince him otherwise. Thanks for your review.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

The cover photo immediately caught my attention and I just had to know what this book is about. The title is also very catching and makes you think and ask questions, before even starting to read this book. I am not a huge fan of history, but this book sounds terrific and everything works together. This book is definitely going into my shelves to read and remember. Well done on an amazing review!
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Nowadays there are so many, like Amaury, who take the risk of perishing at sea, in an attempt of running away from the difficult conditions they face in their own home countries. I hope Amaury arrived in a land where he could build a better life.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I love the cover of this book. It is attractive and I commend the author of this book for an amazing job on this book. Fascinating review!
Melvin Salamon
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Melvin Salamon »

John, the group's commander, tells the tale from his point of view. He bravely puts his life in danger to protect his loved ones. His bravery serves as an example for all of us, and his perseverance is motivating. Elizabeth, the sole female in the group, is also followed by the narrative. She is terrified and in danger, yet she doesn't give up because she wants to live.

The way the narrative is recounted is compelling and moving. It is a stirring tale of perseverance and overcoming hardship. The author does a fantastic job of expressing the characters' feelings and challenges through the prose, which is straightforward.
Overall, 90 Miles to Freedom is a courageous and endearing tale of perseverance. It serves as a reminder that despite our challenges, we can always find the strength to prevail. Everyone should read this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”