Review of The Stolen Girl

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of The Stolen Girl

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Stolen Girl" by zia wesley.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Stolen Girl by Zia Wesley began on a cool evening in a rural and remote community on the island of Martinique. Aimée Dubucq de Rivery, alongside her cousin, Marie-Josèphe-Rose Tascher de La Pagerie, sought a fortune teller. They sought to know the future, especially of their marriages. They were in for surprises — both girls were destined to be queens, albeit after facing a lot of ordeals. These ordeals included abandonment, being peddled, and losing loved ones. Aimee's journey out of the colony to France began the fulfillment of the prophecy. Would they be able to change the wheels of fate?

Zia Wesley takes the reader on a thrilling journey through an intense, fast-paced, and creatively written story. The novel is set in the eighteenth century and built to the finest detail with a fascinating plot that draws you in, leaving nothing to the imagination. A first in its series, the book is filled with action, adventure, love, romance, hate, and suspense that has a satisfying ending. The ending leaves the reader wanting to know more.

I liked how detailed the author was in the book. She gave not only realistic and explicit descriptions but also integrated different languages. The scene with the description of the baths was my favorite. Also, the names of characters and places were unique. A detailed map was provided at the beginning of the book to help the reader follow the main character's progression. I also liked how one could differentiate the characters' thought processes from their spoken words. The thoughts were all in italics and this aided comprehension.

What I liked most was how the characters were brought to life with remarkable traits and unique backgrounds, leaving lasting impressions in my mind. I saw the impact of characters such as Rose and her daredevil spirit, Aimee and her subservient nature, Mr. Braugham and his courage, Baba Osman and his kindness, and so on. They each helped in deepening the plot.

I disliked nothing in The Stolen Girl. However, I found it odd that more of Rose's story wasn't imbibed in the book. It was more of a personal observation for improvement than an attempt to slight the book. I'd await the next installment with the excitement of what else the fates of Rose and Aimee would have in store for us.

I must say that The Stolen Girl went through exceptional editing because I found no grammatical or typographical errors. Therefore, I'd rate it 5 out of 5 stars, not only because of the author's detailed writing but also because of the fascinating storyline. I'd recommend this book to adventure lovers. There were detailed descriptions of subservient sexual activities. Readers triggered by it should read with caution.

The Stolen Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I like that the story is set in Martinique and France's 18th century. I wonder if the two girls will indeed become queens as predicted by the fortune teller.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Wow! Will these girls be queens to the same King? Or different kings? This will be an enjoyable plot. Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”