Review of The Sand Pounder

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The Sand Pounder

Post by Proof Readar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sand Pounder" by M.J. Evans.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

On December 8th, 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt announced Japan's attack on US territory. While the update went on, Jane Morris kept listening to a radio with her hands trembling on it.

Her brother, Luke, also felt despondent upon hearing the president's speech, which signaled that war couldn't be far. Later, Luke decided to leave Jane, his only sister and the only member of their nuclear family, and the family house in Tillamook Valley to join the new recruiting program in Portland for the US Navy.

On June 21, 1942, while Luke served in the US Navy, another attack was aimed at Fort Stevens Battery Russell by a Japanese sailor from the coast. This necessitated the emergence of the Coast Guardsmen initiative by the US government, specifically called Sand Pounder.

Jane decided to apply and become a Sand Pounder to help her country succeed over its Japanese enemies. However, this decision is odd, as Sand Pounder is meant for men only. But against all the impossibilities that surround her decision, Jane is determined to beat through all odds by disguising herself as a man to find her way into proving herself worthy of defending her nation. Read how she could realize this plan in the book The Sand Pounder.

The Sand Pounder: Love and Drama on Horseback in WWII by M.J. Evans is a historical fiction that shows the tension, suffering, and sacrifices that all American citizens passed through during World War II between 1941 and 1945.

The book is written from the third-person perspective, explaining many events that ensued from 1941 through 1942 as the Japanese invaded the US territories. The author's writing style shows well the tension, uneasiness, and love of family and friends that ensued among the citizens of the US during this time.

From this story, I could learn some lessons, which I would like to point out. One lesson that stands out to me is why countries at war should fight with understanding, which will help them fight for peace and not destruction's sake. If war aims to bring peace in the end, one should also consider the possibility of getting peace without war. Jane made me know and believe this, as she showed understanding and a love of humanity toward folks that another US citizen could have considered enemies and probably helped orchestrate their termination from US territory.

Precisely, when Jane was on patrol as a member of the Coast Guard, whose duty it is to trap any Japanese on water and around the coast, she saved the life of Brian, a Japanese, who was sent to open fire on a specific US territory. By doing this, she was able to discover Brian's true citizenship—which meant he was American by birth—and the underlying reason that got him into fighting against America.

The book is written engagingly, as it uses a simple tone and good descriptive words to describe the characters' emotions and actions. From the start of the book, I was engaged and got my eyes fixed on the scenes of tense events. The author does not bore readers with unnecessary scenes, as she only goes straight to the most important ones. Some information needed is briefed in narrations, and this reduces space consumption.

I have nothing to dislike about this book, as I liked and enjoyed reading it. The book is professionally edited, as I could only find one typo in the whole book's content. Hence, the book earns a rating of 5 out of 5 stars from me.

I'll recommend this book to all lovers of historical fiction who would prefer a touch of mild romance. Specifically, if you like historical fiction based on the world war, you won't regret reading this.

The Sand Pounder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

Being patriotic come by ignoring personal interest and facing the reality of saving the nation. jane's decision here is highly encouraging and emulating. thanks for this great review.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Oh wow, I really like your choice of words in your review, you went straight to the point and your Summary was intriguing, I love it. The book sounds like a great read. Thanks for the review.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I enjoyed reading your summary of the novel. I love war books. I’ll like to read this when I come across. How did Jane succeed disguising as a man?
Onyeso Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeso-njoku.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Onyeso Njoku »

Jane's patriotic life is admirable, I would like to read this book to know more about Jane. I enjoy your review welldone.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

The book sure has an interesting plot and full of twists. Although the book's genre is not my type , but your review on the book is detailed and interesting. Welldone!!!
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

When I saw the title I was surprised but I like the lesson on why countries at war should fight with understanding, which will help them fight for peace and not destruction's sake. This is a great review
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

This sounds like an intriguing story. Jane disguising herself as a man in order to fight for her country during the war against Russia is really impressive. Thanks for the great review.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I think this book sounds interesting and appealing, and though it is official I will still look for a way to read it. Good job.
Anna_1203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-1203.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anna_1203 »

War and violence cannot bring peace. I agree with you that the world would be a better place if countries spent more time and energy understanding rather than destroying each other. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Seeing that Jane intends to join the sand pounder is truly inspiring, willing to defend her country despite the obstacles in her way as a female. She disguises herself to be a man to be eligible to serve. I enjoyed your review, nice one.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

The summary of the story proves that the story would be an engaging and entertaining one. I'm a fan of action scenes and I believe this one will be tension-inducing, as Jane tries to disguise themself as a man to defend her nation. I also cherished your thoughtful analysis of the book.
Signature of Grace.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

To be patriotic, one must set aside personal interests and accept that defending the country is a necessity. Jane made a very inspiring and admirable choice in this situation. I appreciate your excellent review.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I don't truly like this book but I think from what the reviewer wrote the book will be making a lot of sense to those reading it. Good job.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

The premise of the book is definitely intriguing and full of surprises. Even though the book's genre is not my favorite, your evaluation of it is thorough and fascinating. Welldone!

Return to “Historical Fiction”