Review of Pallbearers and Plastic Flowers

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Pallbearers and Plastic Flowers

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pallbearers and Plastic Flowers" by Michael John Cruit.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Pallbearers and Plastic Flowers by Michael John Cruit follows Vietnam veteran Michael Dibiaso and his brother Sergio. Michael returns from Vietnam a changed man and is assigned to be a pallbearer at funerals for fallen soldiers. He is bitter about the war, but he is eventually discharged from the army. He then joins his brother Sergio, who works for the Mafia in Las Vegas, in a daring scheme. Sergio has discovered something horrifying about a member of the New York Mafia, leaving him with no choice but to enlist his brother's assistance or face death. The two hatch up a scheme to steal several million dollars from the New York Mafia as revenge and solve the threat posed by this particular member of the New York Mafia once and for all.

I appreciated the author's insight into the Vietnam War. It was fascinating to see how the author incorporated its unpopularity into the plot. It was fascinating to see how the protagonist, Michael Dibiaso, who had served in the war and was a veteran, felt about it. The author also gave us a glimpse into the late 1960s and early 1970s, which I found fascinating. It was fascinating to learn about the Mafia, Route 66, and the counterculture.

Some of the author's ideas had philosophical overtones, which I appreciated. It was fascinating to read the author's perspectives on various stages of people's lives. The author's use of the protagonist, Michael, to advance ideologies and thoughts struck me as clever. We saw how being a part of the Vietnam War shook Michael to his core and caused him to question everything he had ever been taught. By employing the protagonist in this manner, the author avoided coming across as preachy. I could tell the author cared deeply about the Vietnam War, but the way he incorporated this into the story was masterful.

I liked how the story had a thriller element to it. It was exhilarating to read about Michael and his brother Sergio's heist against the Mafia. The suspense added by their being on the run from the main antagonist, Caifano, was fantastic. I had the impression that they were in real danger, which made the story unpredictable. The stakes were high, involving heinous crimes that could have landed the antagonists in prison for life, if not the death penalty. While reading the book, I experienced increased suspense, excitement, surprise, anticipation, and anxiety. Every time, the protagonists survived by the skin of their teeth, which was quite nerve-racking. The "Las Vegas Caper," as it was dubbed, was meticulously planned. Sergio's ability to create disguises that fooled many people was fascinating to watch.

My only criticism of the book was how quickly the protagonists entered into relationships. Sergio with Luanna first, then Michael with Emily. I couldn't believe they knew each other well enough to be in a relationship. However, I rationalized that this occurred due to the high-pressure situations they were in, such as being on the run from the Mafia and meeting at Emily's brother's funeral.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because it was thrilling and masterfully captured a unique period in American history. While reading the book, I didn't notice a single typo, spelling, or grammar error, so I thought it was exceptionally well-edited. I would recommend this book to thriller fans. I would also recommend it to people who enjoy stories about the Mafia and the Vietnam War. However, I would like to point out that the book contains descriptions of drug use, violence, sex, and a lot of profanity. Those who find these things offensive should avoid reading this book.

Pallbearers and Plastic Flowers
View: on Bookshelves
Annas Felix
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

Some characters had the effrontery to carry out a heist against the mafia? That some bold stuff. I am intrigued about the narrative.

Return to “Historical Fiction”