Review of Out of the Shoebox

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Review of Out of the Shoebox

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out of the Shoebox" by Beverley Hill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Charlie is Scottie's great-grandfather. He is referred to as Granddaddy. On a particular day, while Scottie was in Grandpa Matt's home where Charlie was, Charlie told the young Scottie stories about World War II. He also told him tales of the Chepstow Castle and promised to tell him more stories relating to the haunted castle. Carolyn, Scottie's mom, came to pick him up. She had always appreciated her father and grandfather for always spending time with Scottie owing to her busy schedule.

Scottie showed interest in listening to tales about ghosts. Charlie continued his stories about the Chepstow Castle while at Matt’s house. He instructed Scottie to get his shoebox so he could show him some things from the 1940s. He continued the tale about the haunted castle and people‘s experience in the Chepstow Castle.

Out of the Shoebox by Beverley Hill is an educative fiction book. It is a book that teaches about World War II events. I learned a lot of things from this book. The stories told by Charlie gave out some historical happenings and the segregation treatment meted out to Blacks during World War II. Also, the characters in this book were well-developed, and each had an interesting role to play in this novel. I could easily say that Granddaddy Charlie is my favorite character because he always had time for his family members despite his age.

Another beautiful thing I admire in this book is the well-developed and interesting plot. From Scottie’s younger age, his great-grandfather told him stories relating to each event he encountered while growing up. I love that this book was well written, as each chapter contains gripping historical tales Charlie shared with Scottie. I admire the fact that this novel did not go off point in any chapter, and this kept me glued till the very last chapter. I learned things about golfing in the 1940s. I also learned things about WWII events.

I found so many errors in this book. This is evidence that perhaps not much time was taken to edit it. This affected my overall enjoyment of this book. I would be removing a star from my rating due to this book's poor editing quality. Aside from this, there was no other negative side to this book. Therefore, I will rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I am giving it such a high rating still because of the positive aspects I stated above.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about the historical WWII, especially from the perspective of a Black American, as this book is very educative. It is narrated by Charlie, who played the role of a Black American soldier during the war. I also recommend it to anyone interested in reading about supernatural occurrences because this book contains such information about the haunted castle.

Out of the Shoebox
View: on Bookshelves
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

This is a historical fiction book that talks about Charlie, the great-grandfather to Scottie always has time for Scottie and tells him stories, parts of the story are world war II, Chepstow castle, and many more. The characters were well-developed and the plot of this book is also well-developed. Thanks for the great review.
Luthyoko Lukman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Luthyoko Lukman »

very inspiring book lots of excitement in the story
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is an interesting plot that has to with Charlie, Scottie’s great father, telling him about world war and ghost stories.

Return to “Historical Fiction”