Review of How We Healed

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of How We Healed

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How We Healed" by Melody and Arric Fowler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How We Healed by Melody and Arric Fowler opens up in the era of the segregation of black people in the early 1900s. It focuses on Drunetta King, a young, strong, and fierce woman. She learns how her upbringing and unconscious decisions change her world and that of her kids the hard way. In the book, Drunetta's world takes a better turn after she moves away from her hometown to start a new life. This is where she meets Sister Rose and Raycie, the two people who make her come alive again. Her relationship with these two becomes an eye-opener for her. She realizes areas she has made mistakes. This same friendship leads her through her most challenging times and makes her see the need to heal and move on with her life regardless of what life throws. Will she get the healing she so desperately needs?

This book did an excellent job of teaching essential life lessons. The reader could see the effects of social orientation and mindset on life outcomes. The authors portrayed how one could only act, reason, and think according to what they had been exposed to.

Melody and Arric Fowler's use of short chapters was beautiful, and they followed the sequence of events in each chapter well. Their introduction of a back-and-forth narration was flawless. There was no confusion as the authors took me from the present to the future and back to the present; the journey was exhilarating. The sequence flowed well without plot holes.

I loved the detailed description of each character's train of thought as each progressed indirectly into lessons about life, pain, family, love, or friendships. I saw how Drunetta's life was affected and shaped by the people she encountered, especially Sister Rose and Raycie. As their interactions grew, the life lessons were also there for the reader to pick up along the way. This technique of inputting life lessons into the story made it exciting and engaging; I looked forward to the next life lesson.

The use of multiple points of view made the characters come alive in the story. Also, the transition from Drunetta's point of view to that of other characters, like her husband Abraham and her siblings, was intriguing. Each person's point of view was well connected to the others, leaving no confusion.

The dialogue between the characters included cuss words and uncommon phrases of slang that readers may not be familiar with, although I didn't see this as a negative point, it might slightly affect the book's readership.

How We Healed is a fantastic and straightforward read with clear and vivid descriptions. This book is excellently edited, and there is nothing to dislike. I strongly recommend it to parents, young couples, teenagers, or persons who have gone through a lot in life and think there's no way out. Finally, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

How We Healed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Healing, especially emotional healing is one of the themes that I enjoy a lot. This is because I know how damaging emotional healing is. It's so painful that, others mostly can't see it to render help. So the best thing in life is to heal from hurt, because it eats out life.

Thanks for this wonderful review. I enjoyed reading it.
Emmy page
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy-page.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Emmy page »

When we encounter hard moments sometimes the only way out is to start life all over again in a totally new place.The courage to make such bold decisions like the main character is depicted sometimes is the magic bullet that we did not know we possessed.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sometimes the people we encounter along the way can have a big impact on our lives. I have encountered people who are similar to the character of Sister Rose and Raycie, who changed my life and gain life lessons. The book is interesting. Thanks for your wonderful review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”