Review of Dare To Dream

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Review of Dare To Dream

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dare To Dream" by Jayne M Simon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dare to Dream by Jayne M Simon is about the finest fiction I have read in a while. It tells the story of Jenna Newell, a sweet, innocent, and beautiful girl whose only crime was being left with her grandmother. Jenna was devastated at the death of her grandfather, who was the only surviving family member that loved her. The young girl only wanted her grandmother's love, care, and affection, but instead, all she got was the opposite.

Like all romantic fiction, Dare To Dream successfully achieved the feat of melting the reader's heart. It was a heart-wrenching story that took us on Jenna Newell's life journey, from living under her shrewd, pragmatic, and controlling grandmother to moving to Pennyworth Academy, where her life changed for the better. There she found a home and comfort with three other girls with whom she shared her cottage. She also got the chance to pursue her dream of becoming a journalist. However, does she manage to find love?

On the positive aspects of this book, we must start with the central theme of the book, which is love and support. We saw how the four girls (Martha, Anitra, Clemmie, and Jenna) loved and supported each other. They didn't just love themselves. Everyone around them felt that love and saw how the Jamesons loved their children. Tal's love for Jenna cannot be left out because while he had immense love for her and vowed to protect her from harm's way, he still encouraged her to follow and chase her dreams fearlessly. Jenna is at the epicentre of this theme, a child who was given the littlest of love by her grandmother was still seen to be the epitome of love and light, and this was felt by everyone around her. The belief is that it was because she was conceived out of love, true love. The theme of friendship, genuine friendship, was also prevalent in the book. We saw this expressed among the four girls, each being each other's strength in their time of weakness.

I also like that the author did not offer false hope. Most fictional stories always end up with a happily ever after in all spheres of the story, but this one did not. So I like that it was realistic in that aspect because some things are left unamended, some people die without reconciling or seeing the goodness of the world, and that is just life.

There isn't much to say about the negative aspect. However, I found the book a bit cheesy and somehow unrealistic, especially in Kit Jameson's and Martha Feldcamp's love story, probably because where I come from, love doesn't work that way but then again, in the world of fantasy, realism goes out the window.

I would easily give this book 4 out of 4 stars because, more than anything, it impressed heavily on me the need for healthy friendships. The importance of having people who are always by your side at every turn of the way cannot be overemphasized. I recommend this book to anyone who loves romance fiction.

Dare To Dream
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

This seems like a book I would enjoy that has a wholesome message. It sounds like it explains love in various forms, mainly through friendships. Nice job on the review. Thank you.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

I love reading books on friendship and love. I really admire the love between Talk and Jenna, I wish we would just have people out there who would love people same way, I feel it would make the world a better place. Nice review.
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

It’s really good to see romance books include the importance of friendships and platonic love. Thank you for your great review
Josephine Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephine-mercy.html
Latest Review: In the Shadow of an Irish God by SD Barry

Post by Josephine Mercy »

Everyone yearns for love and attention. Nice book.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

I can't fathom having a unlovable grandma of all relatives. I hope Jenna found the life she longed for, with time. Great work!
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

I honestly don't understand why an adult would simply despise a child. This sounds like an emotional story, and I hope Jenna gets the life she wants.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Normally Grandma's tend to be overprotective and so loving to their grandkids, imagine having an unloving one. I love the central theme of this book which is friendship.
Nice Review.
Tebugeleni Ndwandwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebugeleni-ndwandwe.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tebugeleni Ndwandwe »

In this world that we live in stories that highlight the importance of love are much needed, even if it's fictional. Great review

Return to “Historical Fiction”