Review of On the Precipice of the Labyrinth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Review of On the Precipice of the Labyrinth

Post by Marsha JJ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On the Precipice of the Labyrinth" by Brian Snowden.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brian Snowden’s On the Precipice of the Labyrinth is an immersive story about a young man who travels throughout Spain during a civil war. As a young boy, William learned Spanish from a Cuban neighbor. His love for the language motivated him to go to Spain to immerse himself in the language and culture. Undeterred by the strife in the country at that time, he made his way to Spain by taking on jobs that allowed him to fund his travel. When he arrived in Spain, he was fortunate to meet kind people who helped him fully immerse into the culture. As the story progresses, we learn more about William's relationships and his romantic interests.

Pivotal to the narrative was the political situation and the inherent danger for him as an American traveler. During that time, there was a civil war in the country. There was a feeling that the country needed change, and religion was also a factor in the upheaval. Some felt that the current regime was using its ties with religious leaders to hold power over people. Extremists were even attacking nuns and priests as part of their cause. Since foreigners in Spain at that time were often aligned with groups that were stirring up change, there was some risk to William that he would be in danger if people assumed he was trying to get involved in the political situation. He had to keep a low profile by trying not to discuss politics or religion so he wouldn’t draw attention or controversy.

I loved this absorbing novel. I am also familiar with learning Spanish and traveling in Spain, so I was particularly interested in reading it. The writer’s storytelling ability is excellent. There was a wonderful sense of what it was like to travel there, great descriptions of the people and culture, a clear explanation of history, and an intriguing narrative. I enjoyed reading about the relationships that William formed, and I felt this aspect was one of the most interesting parts of the book. For example, a man named Manolo helped him get to Burges and invited William into his family home. Manolo also immersed him in a situation involving his sister. There were many interesting encounters and experiences like this for William. The character development in the book was excellent, and the undercurrent of danger kept the narrative interesting.

There were many positive aspects of On the Precipice of the Labyrinth, and there wasn’t anything significant about the story that I didn’t enjoy. The only fault I found was that there were some formatting errors in my Kindle version of the book. There were frequent occasions when words were hyphenated inappropriately or where there were just a few words on a page. Other than this, there were minimal grammatical errors. The story was excellent and deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

I highly recommend On the Precipice of the Labyrinth to readers seeking a unique and interesting book. It will appeal to a variety of audiences, including travelers, history enthusiasts, and those who enjoy immersive stories about another time and place.

On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
View: on Bookshelves
Kendall Corder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendall-corder.html
Latest Review: The Story Of... by Shirley B Novack

Post by Kendall Corder »

I'll have to do research to find out what time period this story takes place. It sounds like this book is right up my alley. I love traveling abroad, especially to Spain, and historical fiction. Thanks for the review!
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Seems like a thrilling book spinning around the narrative of travelling. The story is enthralling to read about. Great review!
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I love books on traveling. There is always something new to learn what that particular place. It will be great to learn about the Spanish culture.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It looks like William jeopardize by the political chaos in Spain, the country where he migrated. His life subsides, how will he manage to show a low profile in public? I'd like to find out. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Nicholas Campbell 3
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscopic Shades
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Nicholas Campbell 3 »

Congratulations on On the Precipice of the Labyrinth being Book of the Day! Your writing always deserves recognition
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Since my family lived through the Spanish Civil War, I have mixed feelings about this book. Those were turbulent and complex times. But your review is fantastic, thank you.
Last edited by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda on 25 Mar 2023, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

Sounds  like an adventure story mixed with politics from the review and a few pages I have sampled.  I hope William isn't involved in heated foreign politics. I'll finish the book to check it out.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 84234
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1181%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book of the day BOTD is historical fiction dating back in the late 30's William a graduate in Charlottesville and like many Americans Benning is connected to Spain by ancestry. Series of fortuitous encounter eith friendly locals Benning find himself in violence situation he ungenerously tell his host that he is not interested in his country issues .. The book was well written and reviewed I will recommended it
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Traveling to Spain to live among the locals and learn about their culture would be fascinating. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Gift-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aykay.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Gift- »

I am not a lover of books that involves war. However, this book seems interesting because of the Spanish culture. I'm love Spanish. This is great review.
Bethany Kroeger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-kroeger.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Bethany Kroeger »

William's journey throughout Spain at the time of the civil war there sounds so exciting! I do not know much about the Spanish Civil War, so I am interested in reading this novel that seems to contain a good amount of information about it. I have always wanted to visit Spain and learn more about the culture and reading Precipice of the Labyrinth seems like a great way to do it, metaphorically speaking. Great review and congratulations to the author on BOTD!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Step into a world of adventure and danger with Brian Snowden's "On the Precipice of the Labyrinth." Follow William's journey through civil-war Spain as he immerses himself in the culture and language. A captivating tale of travel, history, and personal discovery that will keep you hooked. Congratulations on being BOTD!
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Learning about the Spanish culture has always been fascinating to me, so I'll check out this book to see how William fares in Spain.
Jasrainek
Currently Reading: Christmas Haven
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasrainek.html
Latest Review: Relish Your Retirement by Florance Philip

Post by Jasrainek »

Spanish culture has always fascinated me, therefore I was eager to start reading and gain knowledge about this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”