Review of Lost Souls Recovered

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Review of Lost Souls Recovered

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost Souls Recovered" by Eric Walker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why has racism existed until now? Are those who consider themselves superior to the "colored" community unable to accept that black people have a place on this planet? Eric Walker's debut novel, Lost Souls Recovered, depicts the struggles of a colored person even after "Independence Day" from the "white people's" superiority (known as slavery). The story is set in the spring of 1887 in Richmond, Virginia, through the fall of 1928 in Alabama.

John was the son of a former slave, but he was born after Independence Day. He worked with Tyrone Billingsly (his mother's slave owner). One day, he ran away from the Billingsly State after he stole two whisky flasks containing a treasure map guide, which made Madame Billingsly stumble down the staircase and die. He needs to run, but leaving his mother seems so painful. At seventeen years old, John headed to Alabama with Douglas (who was in conflict with a white girl), and both of them barely knew each other. They walked, they rode horses, and they traveled by train. Suddenly, their color attracts problems. Would they find good people to help on their flight? Would they reach Alabama? Would John ever meet his mother again?

I was born in the last decade of the 20th century, and I was curious about why slavery happened so seriously in the past centuries. I liked that the novel was full of valuable information about slavery that took place before World War I. It saddened me that slaves were sold, punished without petty, and treated without justice. On the happy side, I salute the author's plot of the family bond and friendship. Plus, the emphasis on endurance and determination in fighting for freedom for the sake of the next generation is quite noteworthy. On the other hand, I dislike the few slang words in conversation and the minor profanities.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it is a fast-paced novel embedded with thrilling scenes and sometimes funny ones. The historical events of slavery were addressed, like the prison mining controversy, the death penalty for insubordination  and numerous occasions of injustices against the colored people. In terms of the characters, John is highly focused with a realistic description of emotions for an itinerant person. The editing is also quite good, and the flow of the scene is easy to follow, so I can say that the first novel by Eric Walker is professionally edited. I only notice minor mistakes.

I recommend this book to a person who is familiar with the geography of Virginia going to Alabama. They can relate to the place and enjoy the journey of John, especially in searching for his cousin Riley. Anyone who likes historical fiction novels about slavery will appreciate this tale because the plot is inspired by true events.

Lost Souls Recovered
View: on Bookshelves
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Hmmm mmm... This whole pain that is associated with skin color sometimes doesn't even make any sense. It just shows selfishness in humans-- we don't want anything that's alien to us.
Emmy page
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy-page.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Emmy page »

History needs to be retold in any way possible to serve as a constant reminder not to make past mistakes.for the case of slavery,i think it still exists but in milder forms like racism.when we trace their roots,we can envision a time in the far future when all forms of discrimination become something of the past.

Return to “Historical Fiction”