Review of Retribution

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Review of Retribution

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Retribution" by David Tory.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Retribution by David Tory is a captivating piece on the life of Isaac Stanfield. This book is set in England in the 1600s. The book reflects the life of Isaac, a sailor and businessman, his relationship with others, and the ample challenges life throws at him.

Isaac loses his wife, Aby. He wants to get drowned in mourning her, even to the detriment of the life of his infant son, James. Annie, a selfless friend, helps Isaac to get back on his feet while also nursing his son. Isaac appreciates Annie within. He is, however, torn between either prioritising his family or his adventurous job. This was somewhat of a hard decision for Isaac. Life, however, taught him how much each one meant to him.

There are many positive aspects to this book. I love this book. I love the story it tells. I love how the author told his story. I learnt so much about transportation by water from this book. It covers how ships sail and anchor, how ships are prepared before any sailing commences, and the crew members involved in the shipment. I also learnt about ship pirates and how they operate. I used to think the only challenges that came with water transportation were the capsizing and sinking of the ship. I, however, learnt that pirates were actually the major challenges faced, especially then in the 60s. I learnt about some of our modern-day English countries and how they came about.

I like the concept of love and family displayed in this book; it was beautiful. I loved the characters; they made me feel different kinds of emotions. I loved Annie the most; her selflessness and understanding nature is exemplary. I connected so much with this book; it was worth every second I spent reading it. I felt emotional a lot of times while I read this book; these emotions were bitter-sweet. The goodbyes were my most triggering moments; many tears dropped. I love everything about this book, from the setting down to the plot and to the characters. They were all amazing.

I found no negative aspects while I read this book. This book was well written and edited; only a few errors were spotted while I read this book. Therefore, it was professionally edited.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I gave this book this rating because the positive aspects above clearly show that this book deserves nothing lower than a perfect rating. I enjoyed every aspect of this book. It is faultless and has no negative aspects to it. I recommend this book to lovers of adventure and historical fiction.

Retribution
View: on Bookshelves
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I like that the book tells about a sailors life. It would expose one to their experience and put in that emphatic feeling in readers. I also loved that the book talked about the history of modern European countries. Thanks for an interesting review.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thanks for a very enthusiastic review. There seems to be a lot to like about this book, and I do love the combination of adventure and historical fiction. However, from the cover I expected the book to be set in a much different time period.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

There are many positive aspects to this book. I love this book. I love the story it tells. I love how the author told his story. I learnt so much about transportation by water from this book. Good to see a lot of positive aspects in one book.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

A great story with a nice catch. Amazing review! Can't wait to read the book
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

I will love to read this book; especially checking out the idea in my head if something got kicking with Annie and Isaac.
Nice review by the way.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

The pain of losing a loved one can be very devastating. I wonder how David felt in the book. This seems like a story that teaches a lesson or two. I would definitely recommend it to my friends. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

I love the story that this book tells. It seems like there is a lot to learn from the book, especially about how to deal with the death of a loved one. I would recommend this book, and I would love to read it too.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

The review has shown in clear terms that the book would make such a fantastic read. I am jumping on it immediately if I am opportune to. Thank you for an amazing review.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

This seems like an interesting historical fiction. I would love to learn how life was in the 1600s. This book having no negative aspects is a plus to it. Thank you for this beautiful review.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

There is a lot to love about this book. I can tell from how beautiful the review you have written is. I would love to see how the character gets through his loss. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”