Review of Your First Born Shall Die

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: A Forgotten Door Called Home by Rev. Cheryl Kincaid

Review of Your First Born Shall Die

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Your First Born Shall Die" by Fred Fraikor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Historical fiction has always been one of my favorite genres because they are usually grounded in reality with a personal spin by the author. Your First Born Shall Die uses the Vietnam War, terrorist attacks, and nuclear conflicts to create an engaging storyline. Fred Fraikor captures the essence of good writing in his work.

Paul Wienacziewski and his wife, Maria, are torn about the impending death of their first baby, Heather. The inevitable comes, and with his wife's tragic accident later, his dreams for a family are shattered. Thirty years later, he is a simple man with simple plans, but the past won't let him be. Will he answer the call of duty with thousands of lives at stake? What mystery will be unlocked on his journey?

My first point of attraction was the book's title; it was direct, bold, and compelling. Although it started with the familiar Bible verse of the children of Egypt, it would suffice to say it wasn't a religious book. The book's structure was different. It wasn't arranged in chapters but with detailed headings showing the location and the date. This strategy was vital in keeping me on track when there was a time skip or relapse in the storyline.

The book's early stages had a backstory of Maria; that was my favorite part. Her experience during the Vietnam War was a life-changing one. It made me understand how she became who she was to her husband. This book wouldn't exist if one major personal event didn't happen to her.

Your First Born Shall Die had a mature take on it. The sexual content wasn't vulgar but borderline humorous because of how the author described it. It was done in the context of romance. Typical humor was used, and the characters were full of life during dialogues, enhancing my enjoyment. Also, profanity was prevalent.

The main character's age during his daring task didn't precisely fit the famous hero trope, but that gave it a realistic feel that I loved. It showed that a hero could be anyone given the proper circumstances. The build-up to the end plot was a steady rise from a mundane lifestyle to a cathartic ending.

The author's writing style was good and was one of the elements that kept me going. There were no fillers. Although there were some errors, they didn't detract from my overall enjoyment. There wasn't anything for which I should penalize the book. Therefore, I’d rate Your First Born Shall Die 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to readers of historical fiction about wars.

Your First Born Shall Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

I love historical fiction books, and I can tell from your review that I'll enjoy this one too
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

The title itself is so dark. I wonder how dark it gets in the book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”