Review of The Train to Kuranda

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of The Train to Kuranda

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Train to Kuranda" by David Maiville.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

THE TRAIN TO KURANDA: AN ODYSSEY OF LOVE, HOPE AND RENEWAL by David Maiville is the story of a former war prisoner. In 1950, Bill Allen, a WWII ex-soldier, boarded the train to Kuranda with a little girl he met at the station. After years of imprisonment and torture, he finally had the chance to head back to his beloved wife, Rose. For some reason, Hannah was quite friendly with Allen, being unfazed by his scars and his twisted face. Her cheerfulness brought a smile to his wounded heart. Who was this child? Why didn't she fear him? Would he be able to reunite with his Rose? What else would happen on the train to Kuranda?

What I like most about the novel is the warm relationships between the characters. Joe and Ann are a kind couple who treat Hannah like their own child. Even after telling her about her real identity, they continue to love her as they always do. Sean is a true friend you would want to have in your life. He has been with Allen for a long time and is ready to assist his buddy however he can. Despite his age and background as a veteran, Sean is like a big kid when it comes to love. The way he floats back to his hotel after receiving a kiss on the cheek from Daisy is so cute.

In addition, if you are interested in the indigenous peoples of Australia and their culture, you may find informative details here. The mutual friendship Allen and Sean have with them is remarkable. It's very nice to see what they do for their friends. It shows that what goes around comes around. If you treat people with kindness and respect, they will not abandon you either.

On the downside, the copy has numerous grammatical errors, so I would suggest another round of proofreading. Additionally, the novel has only around 60 pages, so things happen pretty fast. Of course, not many twists can occur due to the limited volume, and a few details are left out without proper explanations.

Because of the mentioned negative aspects, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Personally, I would want a longer plot, but I guess this is a good choice for those who want a short story filled with tenderness. The book hardly has erotic scenes or profanities, so it's safe for even teenagers.

The Train to Kuranda
View: on Bookshelves
Leo Mathew
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Leo Mathew »

This has been quite a little experience for having read this wonderful and innovative book titled:REVIEW OF THE TRAIN TO KURANDA. Am also sustained to have this knowledge and apply it daily life schemes.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Seems like an interesting, short and sweet read. Was looking for an interesting read during a short trip. Thanks for the review!
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

The fact that the book contains a lot of errors is discouraging. However, it appears to have moral values too. I shall grab a copy after it is properly edited.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

Grammatical errors do affect my flow of reading because I won't be able to help but notice them all the time. However, I enjoyed your review and analysis of this book. It was top notch.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

I've never read the story of a war prisoner before, so this will be a new experience for me. I'll embrace it completely as I love to learn new things
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

Even I am excited to know who that child is. Thank you for a wonderful review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”