Review of The Scribe

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of The Scribe

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Scribe" by Liam Robert Mullen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Scribe by Liam Robert Mullen is a story that gives an account of majorly the birth of a young man named Luke, the prophecy on his head, the fulfillment of the prophecy, and other events closely related to this.

Luke is one of the quadruplets borne to Cesari by his first wife. Cesari had lost her at childbirth, and so, with the help of his sister-in-law, who he eventually marries, he trains his children. From childhood, it is foreseen by a seer that Luke will be a scribe. As he grows up, he naturally does things that throw the light of truth to the prophecy. As he eventually gets ready to fulfil the prophecy, he interviews witnesses of events and even witnesses some events first hand which he all records. However, it seems some challenges will discourage him from fulfilling this great mission.

There are several positive aspects of the book. If not for anything, I will commend Mullen for how realistic he made the stories told in the book. People familiar with the stories in the New Testament of the Bible will not find the book a work of fiction but rather as an explanatory and further reading of what had transpired in the lives of some saints in the New Testament. Secondly, Mullen had not just told a story but had described a story, appealing to the senses of the reader.

Mullen tells part of the Biblical stories contained in the New Testament of the Bible; similar characters, similar places but in a unique style that blends beautifully to add a pleasant touch to the Biblical account of the death of Jesus and the lives of some of his disciples. Told in a simple and comprehensible manner, Mullen tells this story in a descriptive manner that will ensure that the readers use their senses to feel the story.

If there are any negatives in the book, it should be limited to the fact that there is a back and forth in the chronology of the book, which has nothing to do with flashbacks. First, chapter one tells a tale that occurred in 30 A.D. Chapter two tells a different tale of 11 A.D., and chapter three is a completely different tale of 20 A.D.

The book is an interesting one with little to no error, an attestation of the fact that it was professionally edited. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because of the almost error-free nature of the book and the positives highlighted above. I recommend the book to Christians who intend to understand more about the events in the New Testament.

The Scribe
View: on Bookshelves
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

More explanations are being provided to some of the events in the Buble. It is interesting to read these book since there are some occurrences that have not been mentioned in the Bible. I look forward to reading this book.
Doris Nzeket
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doris-nzeket.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Doris Nzeket »

Is Luke the scribe on the title of the book? If the challenges Luke faced in life prevented him from realising his dreams, why did the author give him the title of the Scribe? What actually discouraged him from fulfilling this great mission? Did he finally realized his dream, despite the challenges? It would be interesting to get the answers to these questions.
Jackson ONeil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackson-oneil.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Jackson ONeil »

I saw the book cover, and I was genuinely interested in knowing what this book is about. I'm surprised it's about the Bible. I'd be interested in learning more about the New Testament. Great review.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I really love books that retell the Bible. I look forward to reading this book. I'm so intrested
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Luke sounds like a very interesting character. I also like that the book touches on the bible. This is a must-read.

Return to “Historical Fiction”