Review of Dorna

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Review of Dorna

Post by Itz Savaga »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dorna" by Saeed Ghahramani.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dorna by Saeed Ghahramani is a memoir based on a true life story in the 1940s. Dorna, a girl with unmatched beauty and a lover of art, is forced to marry a wealthy but abusive man despite being in love with a young painter and violinist, but their love can’t blossom due to the difference in their social class. Now leaving the comfort zone of her home, Dorna is made to face the reality of the patriarchal limitations of traditional middle eastern societies, but she still shows the strength of an Iranian woman while facing this. Join Dorna as she takes you down memory lane on the challenges she was made to go through at the young age of twenty.

This is a perfect book that gives a detailed firsthand experience of what it is like to be married to a sadistic and abusive man. Maybe getting out of such relationships isn’t such a big deal now, but back in the early 1900s, it was close to impossible, but Dorna did it. Without a doubt, after reading this book, I believe Dorna will serve as an inspiration to a lot of women out there who believe all hope is lost in trying to divorce or leave their abusive partner. I also enjoyed the element of love and family in this book. The love shared between Dorna and Nima was mostly definitely refreshing to read. It was also good to read about the constant support Dorna got from each member of her family throughout the dark and good phases of her life. I love the fact that Iranian culture was well portrayed in this book, ranging from their beautiful customs and traditions to the mention of some great poets whose lines of poetry speak deep into one’s heart and soul. I found no error in the book, which makes it safe to say that it was exceptionally well edited.

Although this might not be a problem to others, on rare occasions in my course of reading the book, I felt it became a bit too wordy.

Despite the slight negative point in the last paragraph, this is an exceptionally inspirational memoir, and I rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't remove a star because it was a great read and it will motivate women towards healthy outcomes in their relationships.

I recommend this book to women finding it difficult to leave their abusive partner due to society's opinion and to women who have left abusive relationships but are clueless on how to start life over again.

Dorna
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

The worst thing that happens to a lady is not marrying the man of her choice, not to talk of a sadistic and abusive one. I enjoyed your review.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

This is a memoir that talks about how Dorna marry to a wealthy but abusive man but later find the courage to divorce and begin a happy life. I am glad you enjoyed this book. Thanks for the great review.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

This is a memoir that talks about how Dorna marry to a wealthy but abusive man but later find the courage to divorce and begin a happy life. I am glad you enjoyed this book. Thanks for the great review.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

One of the mistakes humans can make on earth is marrying a sadist or psychopath partner, regardless of their creativity and skills, such a partner will terminate their dreams.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I think this book would be a good read. My favorite true stories are those that show someone's strength. I am American, and it's hard for me to understand how a husband can control his wife so deeply. We have laws that prevent this from happening. Many women will live a lifetime without escaping.
abdullahfaizan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by abdullahfaizan »

This is a perfect book that gives a detailed firsthand experience of what it is like to be married to a sadistic and abusive man. Maybe getting out of such relationships isn’t such a big deal now, but back in the early 1900s, it was close to impossible, but Dorna did it. Without a doubt, after reading this book, I believe Dorna will serve as an inspiration to a lot of women out there who believe all hope is lost in trying to divorce or leave their abusive partner. I also enjoyed the element of love and family in this book. The love shared between Dorna and Nima was mostly definitely refreshing to read.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

This is quite an emotional story for me. I have this empathy for abused women, could be because I am a woman, or could be because as a child I had to watch my next-door neighbor physically abuse his wife daily. I enjoyed your review.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

Intruiging review for a powerful book. I'm so in love with the storyline. Adding to my bookshelf ASAP

Return to “Historical Fiction”