Review of The Mermaid Hunters

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of The Mermaid Hunters

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mermaid Hunters" by Christie D Selph.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Christie Selph's The Mermaid Hunters follows the story of a journalist, Lorelei Harte Papadopoulos, who is married to a fellow journalist named Philip Papadopoulos. The couple travels to the Middle East to cover the war stories in Lebanon.

As the war began to get more intense, Philip tried to protect his wife, Lorelei, by trying to prevent her from getting close to the places where the most actions happened, but Lorelei didn't seem to want his protection. However, she sustained an injury, which made her stay in a coma for two months. During her time in the coma, her former lover, whom she and her husband believed had been dead, reappeared in the hospital. How does his reappearance complicate things? Find out by reading this book.

Christie D. Selph wrote an interesting story. This book is not like any regular novel that contains unrealistic expectations. I found this story to be action-packed. It explored the themes of war, romance, parenting, and many other concepts. There were a couple of positive aspects that I liked about this book. I particularly liked the fact that the book provided depth to the meaning of journalism. The truth seemed to always find its way to the light. I found myself rooting for Lorelei, as she practiced journalism in its truest form. She was willing to go to any extent to gather useful information. I liked that most ideas in this book were detailed and realistic. The line of action was not rushed. The war in the Middle East and most things that happened in this story were meticulously explained. The author didn't fail to write about the consequences of war on humans and the involvement of some government officials in war, using it as a means of making money.

However, what I didn't appreciate in the book was Lorelei's confusing love life. She was great at her job. However, she felt like the most unstable character in the book, and for the main character, it got annoying at a point. I didn't find any grammatical errors in this book; it was exceptionally edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was a great read. The negative aspect I encountered wasn't enough to make me deduct a star; I still enjoyed the story.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy reading about crimes, actions, war, and romance. Also, because of the historical aspect of this book, I recommend this book to fans of historical fiction. Readers should be aware that this book contains some sexual scenes. If you don't have a problem with that, then you should enjoy reading this book.

The Mermaid Hunters
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I particularly liked the fact that the book provided depth to the meaning of journalism. The truth seemed to always find its way to the light.
My thought was, 'the good old days of authentic journalism.' Good that the author shows this in her story so we don't forget what journalism was meant to be. War-torn Lebanon is a good location for this story too.
Phil Akor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phil-akor.html
Latest Review: Why Does Government Need to be Funded? by Amphidromus

Post by Phil Akor »

As much as this book seems interested, I think those creatures should be left alone. Why do we have to keep hunting? Your review is nice.

Return to “Historical Fiction”