Review of My Search for Air

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of My Search for Air

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Search for Air" by Jeanne K. Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Search for Air by Jeanne K. Johnson is a historical fiction novel set during the 1878 Victorian era in Pennsylvania. After a difficult birth, Philip and Mary Brown welcomed their first daughter, Lilith Mary Brown. In subsequent years they had three more daughters, Penelope, Rose, and Adelaide. A scandal before the four girls' births made it necessary for Philip's younger sister, Odessa, to live with them. The first rules the girls were taught were to "know the Bible," "cleanliness is next to godliness," and "speak civilly." The three younger girls had no problem learning and living by these rules, but not Lilith, who questioned and rebelled against everything she was taught. She could not understand the hierarchy of men over women and the treatment others endured in this lifestyle. Women could only read certain books, were expected to obey their husbands, and had no perspectives or thoughts different from their husbands. Caring for the children and creating a moral home were their primary responsibilities. Striving for equality between the social classes and for women, Lilith and Fanny call themselves the Secret Society of the Skeptical Sisterhood. What does this sisterhood stand for? Are they in danger? Were they able to enact change?

Jeanne K. Johnson did an excellent job researching the Victorian era. Society had different social classes based upon lineage and wealth. I could easily visualize the snobbery of the elite citizens towards the miners and lower-class citizens. Their disregard for the safety of the men, women, and children who worked in the mines was appalling. Jeanne K. Johnson showed how a person's birth determined their destiny. If they were born to the elite, they deserved more than those born into poverty. The mining town controlled by Gregory Wentworth was vivid in my mind with the shacks and filth from the mines, which resulted in hunger, sickness, and pain. Capitalism was the human cost of prosperity that was prevalent during this era. I found the discussion of women's fashion and its effect on their health interesting. For the most part, this book was written from Lilith's point of view and read somewhat like a memoir. I commend the author for making some women characters strong who had thoughts of their own. One important thing I took away from reading this book was when Amanda said, "Life is like a scale. I hope my good deeds outweighed my bad ones and the rest is up to God."

This well-written book has a fast-paced and action-packed plot with no negative aspects. Many of the topics discussed in this book are offensive, but they were accurate during the Victorian era. For example, rape was never the man's fault; it was the woman's fault because of how she dressed, walked, or performed other activities. Women were treated as inferior because men believed they were superior.

I am delighted not to have found any reason not to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book has been professionally edited with only a couple of minor errors that did not distract from my reading enjoyment. A professional editor could have easily overlooked the two mistakes I found.

There is some non-borderline profanity and sexual content in this book that may be offensive to some readers. The characters in the book had strong religious beliefs and lived according to their interpretation of the Bible to justify their actions. For these reasons, I recommend this book to mature Christian readers of historical fiction or those interested in the history of the Philadelphia coal mines.

My Search for Air
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

This is a breathtaking story. The plot and characters intrigues me.
I love me some rebellion themed story.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Women went through tough times, finally now they have more Rights than they ever did in the past. I would like to find out how Lilith and Fanny lived their lives and if they managed to bring some changes for the women in their community.
Junior Gesuka 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Junior Gesuka 1 »

I enjoyed this fine example of well researched historical fiction by Jeanne K. Johnson. It's a well-written story set in the coal mining region of southwestern Pennsylvania during the end of the 19th century through the first part of the 20th. The novel describes the struggles of Lilith, an outspoken and headstrong girl who fights against injustices which affect women, the poor, and immigrants. The story focuses on guilt, sin, secrets, and forgiveness, and was emotionally moving from beginning to end. A real page-turner! I was impressed by the character development, pacing, and dialogue. I highly recommend this novel for book club selections.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

Cool story. Sounds a lot like the Women's Suffrage Movement. Considering that it's
fiction, it makes me even more happy to finish reading it.
Awwal Adewole
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Awwal Adewole »

My search for air is a provocative view of the rights and lack of opportunities for women during the Victorian Era
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

This book has highlighted some of the injustices and inequalities faced by women during the Victoria era. It's sounds like a memoir. That's great for me. Thanks for your review.
Brown_Sucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brown-sucre.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out The Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 2 by Tom Wick

Post by Brown_Sucre »

A book that addresses the marginalization of women would be a great one. A must-read for every lady I must say. Great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”