Review of A Viking Queen's Legacy

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of A Viking Queen's Legacy

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Viking Queen's Legacy" by Alfreða Jonsdottir.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Viking Queen's Legacy is a historical fantasy fiction book written by Alfreða Jonsdottir about the lives of the Vikings. The book is a thrilling read about the life of a Viking girl who dreams of one day going on adventures like her father and brothers. She was different from her peers but did she eventually get to live her dream? What does life have waiting for a brilliant girl like her?

The author starts the book with the celebration of Olaf's wedding and his grandmother's delight in it. The author also goes on to talk about Aud "Unn" Ketillsdottir and her family. The author talks about how a simple wild, brilliant village girl became the Viking queen. The author talked about her battle with her faith and the difficulties she faced as a Viking queen. Despite everything she had been through, was she able to fulfill her dream? Did she, in the course of her life, manifest another dream? What legacy did she leave as the Viking queen?

I found some positive aspects of the book. The first is that I love the storyline of the book. I love how the author portrayed her story and the message through the story. The author's story felt real. It also enriched my vocabulary. Also, I like the message I kind of picked up from this book in the course of reading it. The author made it clear that no matter what you do, you should always be courageous in your faith, not minding if you are a Christian. I particularly love the author's style of writing.

I love how the book educated me on some Viking cultures through her application of some of their languages. I learned a lot from this book, especially about their raiding of countries to acquire wealth. I also want to comment on Aud's character; despite everything she had been through, she always pulled through for her family, and I found it admirable too.

I tried to spot a negative aspect of this book, but I didn't find any. The book was quite satisfactory. Although I found some errors in the book, I would say this book was professionally edited. I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars because the errors did not affect the flow or rhythm of the author's story. 

I recommend this book to people who like historical fantasy books. People who are into books about Vikings and adventures, too, would find this entertaining. In the end, anyone who enjoys reading fictional books would really enjoy this one.

A Viking Queen's Legacy
View: on Bookshelves
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

I love girks witb a difference in what they like.
Will vikings dream of going on an adventure be fulfilled. Thanks for your review
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

Oh wow. I'm really excited to pick this up, I've never read a historical fantasy that has Vikings.
Chanchal Pawar
Favorite Book: The Whaler's Daughter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanchal-pawar.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B09YTVB91N

Post by Chanchal Pawar »

The storyline seems interesting. There aren't many books showing female characters in Vikings' stories. I will definitely read this one.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I haven't read books depicting Vikings. This would be a nice addition to by bookshelf. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to “Historical Fiction”