Review of Fireman Down

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Fireman Down

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fireman Down" by Lee Shargel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arthur Reese (Artie), against all odds, made his childhood dream of becoming a firefighter come true. Due to his upstanding character, he gets promoted to lieutenant and transfers from the Soul Patrol team to the University Station One-Twenty-Three, and he is the only Black man there. The winds of change and integration are blowing, but his close-minded colleagues refuse to let go of their prejudices. Consequently, they resort to giving Artie a hard time at work. But Artie has his family and the entire Black community to uphold. His coworkers are going to have to learn that the color of a man’s skin does not matter, only what’s inside. Artie is determined to hold his head high and prove them wrong. But how far is he willing to go?

Fireman Down by Lee Shargel is a fictional story set in the 1980s. According to the author, it is based on true events. This was an emotionally charged book, and it reminded me of the story of Jackie Robinson. Shargel deftly used the third-person narrative style and often revealed the thoughts and emotions of his characters, especially Artie, allowing me to empathize with them deeply. With similes, metaphors, and the use of imagery, Shargel painted vivid pictures. When the team put out fires, it felt like I was there with them. When Artie ran into red, hot flames, it felt like I ran in with him. And even when he saved a few people, I felt the thrill of it.

The plot is simplistic, and the author revealed the end in chapter one, which I thought reduced the suspense and his creative freedom. But Shargel was clear about his goals in writing this book: to educate people that racism is only a result of fear and ignorance, to let people see what it means to be in the shoes of a Black person that has to work twice as hard to prove themselves, and to make people understand that love can be much greater than hate. The author succeeded. Apart from Artie’s character, I found Ernie Wilkins’ character to be symbolic of minority individuals that feel frustrated from constantly being overlooked and downgraded. Ernie's decision to channel his anger positively can be a source of inspiration to readers who find themselves in his situation.

However, I found the book repetitive; for example, the author repeated the reference to Station One-Twenty-Three being Overmeyer’s private kingdom several times, and it became irritating. Also, while it was understandable that Artie worried about his challenges at work, it became tiring to see it mentioned constantly. Again, essentially, some parts of chapter 27 were already in chapter 1, and I found the repetition unnecessary. Additionally, there were a few blind spots. For one, I would have liked to know when Mike had a change of heart towards Artie. Also, Charles mentioned that Artie was his friend, but I never saw any depth in their relationship, and he appeared only twice in the book.

This book will suit readers who enjoy fictional books about racial integration. If you enjoyed the movie 42, this book will give you all the feels and then some; it is heartfelt and skillfully written. I recommend this book wholeheartedly. However, considering the presence of several errors and other issues, my rating is 3 out of 4.

Fireman Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

Firefighters are more of a HERO than many of us recognize; To put your life on the line to save that of another is a selfless act - one not easy to do. To top it off, he's now the only BLACK person there. I can only wonder about the hardships he went through.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

This reply is specifically to commend the reviewer for doing such a great job on the review. You sure have your way around pulling people in, don't you? :snooty:
Thanks for the lovely review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

The conflict in this sounds engaging.

Return to “Historical Fiction”