Review of A Far Place

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of A Far Place

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Far Place" by Karen L. Schutte.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Far Place  is a biography about the life and family of John H. Wamhoff and Mary Westerhoff written by Karen L. Schutte.
The author of this book talks about the life and family John and Mary built together. She, in eighteen chapters, tried to show the world the life her grandparents lived in the 1890s. Their story moved from what turned out to be a love story to a thrilling adventure of moving to a distant place from home, Germantown. What did they find in this distant place? Did John keep his promise to Mary to build a much better life than they had in Germantown in this distant place, 'new home'? Did they make it to the distant place? If so, what was their life like there?

The author of this book talks about the life of Mary and John before they met each other. She also talks about how they met each other and fell in love. She also tells us of how John got the crazy idea to move to a distant place away from home to start a new life with Mary and how he tried to convince Mary about this. Now, did Mary agree to this? Did they eventually take that journey? If so, was it worth it?

One of the positive aspects I found in this book was the author's writing style. I loved the way the author wrote the book in a clear, straightforward, yet intriguing way. The storyline of the book was so interesting and emotional, especially when I found out it was the life of her grandparents she was writing about. The author made me feel like I was in the story living it and seeing Mary and John take on this big adventure based on faith. It was also an inspiring story. It was thrilling to see how John had faith in this idea of his and trusted God to pull through for him and how Mary, despite the fact she didn't like the idea, still stood beside her husband and supported him. This story was really inspiring and taught me that faith that is as small as a mustard seed can move mountains. If you believe in something, you should stick by it no matter what.

I tried so hard to spot one thing I did not like about this book; I came up with nothing. This is an interesting and inspiring book, and I am glad I read it.

Although I found a few errors in the book, I would say this book was professionally edited. I would rate the book 4 out of 4 because the errors did not affect the flow or rhythm of the storyline of the book; it was still satisfying and interesting to read. There was nothing to compel me to remove a star from my rating.

I recommend this book to persons who love to read biographies and autobiographies of people in the old days. Also, young readers on a path of self-discovery would find this book interesting and useful. In addition, people who love to read inspiring Christian books would love it. 
People who love reading adventure books would like this book too. 

A Far Place
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I like that this book is written in a clear and straightforward manner. Great review.
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

I like thrilling stories, u really look forward to reading this book. Great review, thanks.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I like how specific you were with everything, you really get a feel for how in-depth this review is with the language you use to convey ideas. I'm really impressed by how much I enjoyed reading your review on a book I have very little interest in. Amazing job.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

In those days land in the west was a lot cheaper and people moved because of that. It seems an interresting book.
Yusuf Omotayo 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Yusuf Omotayo 1 »

Am so pleased to have d opportunity to read this review ,I must to confess is very interesting book,love is sweet when you move away from ur comfort zone and start afreshSo impress
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

It touching that the author is writing about the life of her grandparents. Thanks for the nice review.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

This looks like an interesting book, with a look back in history to a past century. I thought your review was very well-written, and I'll check out this book as well.
kyasimire Chris
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kyasimire Chris »

I have really liked this book because it might be true that when you leave your home land to another comfortable zone with some one you love, you leave happily. Great thanks to the author of this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”