Review of Shelter from the Storm

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Shelter from the Storm

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shelter from the Storm" by Dorothy K. Fletcher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 1976, 32-year-old Sarah Palmer had a severe panic attack while on vacation with friends. This panic attack makes her seek help from Dr. Wilcox, who helps her remember a vacation at her family's beach house at Gulf Shores, Alabama when she was almost nine years old. Sarah, her mother, father, two sisters, and their maid's 15-year-old granddaughter, Ruby, planned to stay at the beach house for two weeks. Sarah immediately liked Ruby and thought of all the fun they would have. Unfortunately, not only did Sarah learn many things about life, but a tragic event occurred that ended their vacation early and changed her and Ruby's lives forever. What happened to make them end their vacation early? What life changes did Sarah and Ruby endure? Did Sarah's parents have a choice in the decisions they made? Read Shelter from the Storm by Dorothy K. Fletcher to find out.

This historical-fiction novel revolves around love, faith, friendship, and discrimination. Dorothy K. Fletcher did a fantastic job moving and connecting the plots between 1956 and 1976. Told in the third point of view, the author did a good job developing the different characters and describing the social norms between the two eras. While reading, I could visualize the sandpipers on the shore of the beach. I felt like I was on the sand dunes with the family and making sandcastles. This novel has a smooth-flowing plot that kept me turning the pages to see what happened next. Reading this book was emotional, and I laughed and cried throughout it.

This book shows the harm discrimination can have on all the parties involved. However, this discrimination was necessary to make the story realistic for the 1956 time period. There is one discrepancy in this book. The story revolves around a twenty-year time span, but Sarah's age difference is 23 years. However, the only thing I disliked about this book was the lack of professional editing.

I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of the number of mistakes I found. I enjoyed reading this book, and the errors and the contradiction did not distract from that.

I recommend this book to mature readers over the age of 16 who enjoy reading about the social norms of 1956 and 1976. This book is better suited to Christian readers because it does contain faith in God, church attendance, prayers, and religious song verses with their translations. If non-borderline profanity or religion offends you, you may want to avoid this book. The discrimination in this book may be a trigger for some readers.

Shelter from the Storm
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'd love to read this page-turner historical book. Great review.
Sammy Kamau 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy-kamau-2.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by Sammy Kamau 2 »

Your review makes that book to be interesting to read. I will make a point of getting a copy.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Discrimination is like a cancer. Its effects are devastating. This and the themes of love, faith, and friendship make this book appealing.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

1956 and 1976 are too far gone that I don’t think I’d to read about the social norms then, but this is a great review I must say.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

I hope humanity joins hands to an end to discrimination; in all its form.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Buch1-Dm wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 20:56 1956 and 1976 are too far gone that I don’t think I’d to read about the social norms then, but this is a great review I must say.
But we should be informed about the past so as to avoid the mistakes made then; and by so doing build a better society.
Vicyo57
Favorite Book: Shelter from the Storm
Currently Reading: The Part That Burns
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vicyo57.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Vicyo57 »

This review was an accurate depiction of Shelter From The Storm. The time period of the 1950's was outwardly prejudiced and discrimination was the hateful part of this time period. But the author does an excellent job of showing that through all that, there is still hope and forgiveness. Ruby and Sarah forged a special friendship with no boundaries of skin color. Their innocence to the real world around them was refreshing. The author also showed hope, grace, forgiveness and humility through the turmoil and pain around them.
This book is a good read and I would give it 4 out of 4 stars

Return to “Historical Fiction”