Review of The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Review of The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary" by Brenda Godfrey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the beginning, Walter Cleary is running for his dear life. Fortunately, there is common disdain for the English Law in Ireland, and his father’s legacy will come in handy. He has given much more than he bargained for. Running from his homeland means a further loss of his identity. Many coincidences happen, forming part of the bigger plan to preserve his life from debilitating accidents and events. In the meantime, crime is always beckoning, no matter how far he tries to run. Walter knows he is running for his life, but the truth will hit him at the most unexpected time. He must let go first if he is to rediscover himself. Who he will become remains a great question of concern. He has to endure much, including horrible nightmares.

The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary by Brenda Godfrey is a historical fiction book. It follows Walter after he flees his homeland. Like a moth to a light source, crimes follow Walter. At times, to the reader’s amusement, he would not know he had added another crime until his conscience began accusing him. The war between his id and superego made the story more enthralling. It seems the white wolf would only resurface to haunt him in the aftermath of every crime.

The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary is more than a simple, enthralling story filled with relevant, thought-provoking themes; it is history as well. It is a perfect, satisfying portrayal of the living and poor working conditions of underground coal miners in the early twentieth century and the impact of the accidents that happened. You can feel the emotion accompanying every occasion in the book. For instance, the songs sung have deeper meanings to the singers, and one identifies with them. We experience the severe depression that would follow survivors and its consequences through Dylan. Questions regarding their existence following the death of their associates and families.

One of the aspects I liked most about the book is that nothing appeared forced. Everything fits seamlessly into the grand plan, and the reader can follow the chronological events. As an ardent reader of history, I liked how Walter’s life became entwined with the First World War and other major historical events. Additionally, the characters were realistic. The inclusion of the living and working environments with other sociocultural factors made them relatable. It was easy to see the individual, a human being, not just another number, making the story complete. Equally, the vivid descriptions made it possible to visualize places and much more.

The only downside I observed was the passing of time. Infrequently, there would be a single paragraph separating several years between events. In addition, I rate the book three out of four stars due to the number of errors I encountered while reading. Anyone who enjoys historical fiction will enjoy reading The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary. Apart from some cuss words, there is nothing to hinder anyone from the age of fifteen from liking the book. The author captures one’s attention from the first page, and there is always something to maintain the interest until the concluding chapter.

The Many Crimes of Walter Cleary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Walter's life seems too fascinating to not want to read about it. I'll check this out when I find time between reviews. Great work.
Taana Ueh
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taana-ueh.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Taana Ueh »

JamesJaphet wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 03:46 Walter's life seems too fascinating to not want to read about it. I'll check this out when I find time between reviews. Great work.
I guess I'm not the only one who thinks so. Imagine not knowing you committed a crime until your conscience haunts you.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I'm a huge lover of historical fiction. I would take a look at this book.
Steinkar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinkar.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by Steinkar »

This book sounds intriguing, but I get really frustrated trying to read through text with errors. I'll have to pass on this one. Nice review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks a lot for the amazing comments. The book is really fascinating, and I am certain ardent readers of historical fiction will enjoy reading it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Historical Fiction”