Review of Evangeline

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Evangeline

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Evangeline" by Lane P. Jordan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 1949, after her parents were killed, Hattie went to New York with her Uncle Martin. He changes her name to Evangeline but calls her Evie. He tells her to call him Mr. Martin instead of Uncle Martin, so no one will know they are related. The men who killed her parents were still looking for them, a black man and a white child. Evie's father's parents owned a large plantation in Mississippi, and when they died, she inherited their fortune because she was the only living relative. Years later, 18-year-old Evie obtains a modeling position with the Ford Agency, gets her first apartment with Margie, and Martin gives her a kitten that she names Princess. Margie gains employment with the Design Team at King's Department Store, where Martin is Head of Security. A year later, King Freeman has "The Banquet of a Lifetime," consisting of three different banquets: one for men, one for couples, and one for women, including a fashion show that Evie participates in. Evie is attracted to King, and Evie is having the time of her life when suddenly all of the lights go out. Have the killers found Evie and Martin? Will Evie and King fall in love?

Lane P. Jordan has successfully mixed historical fiction, romance, and mystery in Evangeline. In the 1960s, the Civil Rights Movement was strong, and although it was illegal, the Ku Klux Klan was still active. The author expertly described the differences between the two cultures. As I was reading, I could visualize the luxury in the King's Department Store and their homes. I like the faith displayed in quotes like "God is like the wind—invisible but always with you." Many individuals could learn from Meemaw telling a young Hattie that "Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness."

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The plot is not fast, but it flowed smoothly, and the suspense kept me wondering what would happen on the next page. The characters were nicely developed, and I loved the story's ending, although it was not what I expected.

The two minor errors in the book tell me that a professional editor has edited this book. This well-written book deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction, romance, and mysteries. If you are interested in the Civil Rights Movement, you will enjoy this book. The two content components that may be offensive to some readers are religion and racism. The characters have faith in God, say prayers, and there is a church wedding.

Evangeline
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

This book seems like a combination of amazing genres of literature. I would love to read it. Nice review.
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

Seems like a pretty interesting book, and as I'm a fan of the historical fiction genre I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Thanks for the review.
Ogunpolu Toyosi
Currently Reading: No One Must Know
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ogunpolu Toyosi »

Attention grabbing in a word to describe , Evangeline. The mixture of suspense ,mystery, and historical romance is eye catching , I personally think its a great book , different from commonly read historical romance plots.
Sia P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-p.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sia P »

I'm already excited after reading your review, especially since this novel is a fantastic blend of romance and historical fiction. I'll definitely be adding this to my library. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Ronnie Comendador 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronnie Comendador 1 »

Historical fiction,romance and mystery what a combination of story?hoping that evie and king falls in love to each other!thanks for the great review..!
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Historical fiction with a twist sounds like just the thing for a lazy Sunday afternoon. I cant wait to see what will happen between Evie and King.
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

Evangeline involves the ordeals of Hattie whose parents was killed. The killers involves are still looking for Hattie because they want to kill, and that is why she and her uncle decides to be discreet. How long will they be discreet? What is the price involved? Thanks for your review.
God is a Poet and he taught me how to hold my pen.

Return to “Historical Fiction”