Review of Shadows of the Living Mountain

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Review of Shadows of the Living Mountain

Post by shravsi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadows of the Living Mountain" by Aida Morden.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this book, two sisters are living alike, yet unalike lives because of someone else’s intentional mistake; an imperfectly perfect single mother has a shocking dark light inside her; two young lovers hide their love because of the discriminating society; a set of fraternal twins has to face strange circumstances because of a queer medical condition and an even queerer mother, and so on. There are so many people with so many stories, yet they all have one thing in common—the land of the living mountain. These hauntingly beautiful stories take place in faraway places like New York, Madrid, Saudi Arabia, Australia, etc. Yet, the land of the living mountain remains in the center stage. If you want to know more about this magically realistic place which is a homeland of some amazing stories, you will have to read the Shadows of the Living Mountain by Aida Morden.

This historical fiction contains six stories of varying lengths: short stories, novella, and novelettes. The stories are filled with geographical, political, cultural, societal, and historical details about the Philippines. The term ‘living mountain’ refers to the active volcanic mountains present in the Philippines. The author interweaves the suffering caused by natural calamities like typhoons, volcanos, and floods to everyday issues like discrimination, jealousy, grief, health issues, poverty, and politics.

The positives of this book are unending. The author has mastered the art of “show, don’t tell.” I was halfway through the book before it hit me that I was not only reading some realistic fiction, but I was reading an allegory of something far more important. The author’s subtlety in combining fact and fiction was amazing. For example, see this sentence from the book- “for in the land born of fire, white stones are still forced to hide.” Such beautiful words, right? But in reality, this sentence was a silent cry about social discrimination. The writing was whimsical, the characters were real, the stories were relatable yet fantastical, and most importantly, the geographical settings were beautiful.

This book is not a one-time read. So, I plan to read this book numerous times in the future to uncover all the subtle details hidden inside the beautiful prose. This is a type of book that gets better by rereading. Yet, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars with a heavy heart. The more than ten minor errors I found in the book stopped me from giving a perfect rating. The errors were unnoticeable, yet I think another round of thorough professional editing will improve this book’s worth in the long run. Also, a glossary for the Filipino words would have been helpful.

I like that this book educates readers while entertaining them. Don’t get me wrong! I am not saying I learned everything about the Philippines just by reading this one book. What I am saying is, I am more familiar with the country now than I was before. I looked up some real geographical locations from the stories; they were truly breathtaking. More than the educational value, I enjoyed the author’s writing style.

This book’s positives can also be seen as negatives depending on your preference. If you dislike books with unspoken thoughts, irresolute endings, or stories that continue even after they end, you will not like this book. But if you believe that “stories are never finished” like Carl David’s grandfather, this book will be perfect for you. And, if you are a lover of history, poetic writing, short stories, and some mysticism, then go ahead and pick this book. I will also recommend this book to readers who enjoy introspective books. Happy reading!

Shadows of the Living Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Thank you for a well-written review. I really want to try reading historical fiction and this book seems perfect.
isabell liteno
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by isabell liteno »

Shadows of the Living Mountain" this was an amazing book you have done a superb job on rightin a book :D .
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

The cover is catchy 😍 the storyline is also interesting and new 😍. Thank you for the great review
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

I have always loved short stories. I have to look for this novel. Also, great review.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I think this book should be in my shelf. The theme of the story and the educative aspect really interested me.
Signature of Grace.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

I like stories that give factual evidence and speak truthfully. Thanks for the review.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

It seems that this story is a fascinating one. Its theme is very new and interesting I will definitely read it.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Rav_sid
Favorite Book: Inner engineering
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Rav_sid »

These are stories that make us the taste the magic of the universal while at the same time chewing on life's ashes. Thank you for the review.
Mary Grace Villorente
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mary Grace Villorente »

Its very interesting,but its too short

Return to “Historical Fiction”