Review of An Unforgotten Heart

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Review of An Unforgotten Heart

Post by Nonso Ok »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Unforgotten Heart" by Sandy Schachter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Unforgotten Heart by Sandy Schachter is a work of fiction that was born out of the author's desire to preserve and celebrate her mother’s legacy. This book comprises forty-seven chapters. This book tells the story of trust, sacrifice, betrayal, love, and pain. Also, it shows the reader the extent a person can go to in a quest to cause a change. This book shows the enthusiasm to live and bring a difference to people who have lost all hope.

As the story begins, we see a teenager, Serule, who lives in Vienna with his father, stepmother, and four stepsisters. His mother died while giving birth to him, so he lives with his father and his new family because his father got married again. They live in Vienna, Austria, because his father had joined the Czech army and he could afford a big house in the city where his family could live comfortably; he loved his family so much. As a soldier, he wasn't always at home; he was always out on wars. So, his wife, Maria, had the sole responsibility to keep the family safe. Serule ran out of the house one day because he could not bear the treatment he received from his stepmother and sisters. He didn't feel loved; he didn't feel like he was part of the family. Did Serule come back to his family? Find out in this exciting book.

Written in simple language, An Unforgotten Heart has a lot of positive aspects. I appreciate the effort made by the author to explain some of the words written in the German language; for instance, "Geh zur Holle" (Go to hell), "Schwester" ( sister ), "Juden verboten” (Jews forbidden). Also, the moderate length of this book ensured that the interest of the reader was not lost. I wanted to know what would happen next; for instance, in chapter 37, Maria meets Serule after many years and doesn't know what to expect. Also, in chapter 41 when a Nazi General caught Serule while he was trying to escape. Another positive aspect of this book is the storytelling; it was fantastic because the story naturally unfolded from one chapter to another. I particularly liked that the characters were unique and had interesting personalities. One of my favorite characters was Dieter; his sense of humor made reading the book interesting. Another Character was Hilder; she was the quiet, honest and compassionate one among the girls, while Elsa believed and stood for the truth no matter what.

I tried so hard to find a negative aspect in the book An Unforgotten Heart; I found none. I enjoyed everything about this book. I was glued to this book from the very first page to the last. I found one error in this book; it was professionally edited.

Therefore, I rate Sandy's book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a lower rating since the error I found did not take away my overall satisfaction; it was intriguing and enjoyable to read. I recommend this book to all history lovers worldwide and particularly to those who enjoy reading fiction. Anyone who enjoys reading about history would enjoy reading this book.

An Unforgotten Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This book seems like a beautiful gift for the author's mother who (if I'm understanding) died in childbirth. Words can't sum up! Thank you for the wonderful review.
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

I love that the author used the book to celebrate the mother's legacy. Lovers of historical fiction will undoubtedly enjoy this. Great review.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I feel for Serule for starting his life on a very sad note. I hope he finds a fortune that will make him forget the ill-treatment he got from his step mum. Thank you for your detailed review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Books like this trigger one to put all its effort into making the best out of life. I love the review, nice job.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Being an admirer of historical fiction, I'll definitely like to grab this one. Moreover the themes which are discussed in here fascinate me more. Thanks for your review.^^

Return to “Historical Fiction”