Review of The Forbidden Man

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of The Forbidden Man

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Forbidden Man" by Gerald R Knight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Forbidden Man is the second book in The Legends of Ḷainjin. Ḷainjin, nicknamed Ḷōpako, is on a self-appointed quest to find his mother Tarmālu. While loneliness would be a dangerous enemy to most, it is what drives him forward. He has nothing and no one to look back to at Rālik, his home. The legend of his mother, her capture, and untimely demise in the hands of cannibals in distant islands go on. Despite frequent discouragements on the way, Ḷainjin, with dogged determination, seeks to establish this truth for himself. The quest will lead him through shark-infested waters, notorious bloodthirsty mosquitoes, and other dangers both at sea and onshore. Eventually, he will discover much more than the closure he has sought for many seasons.

Like an experienced artist, the author intricately etched a captivating plot and brilliantly developed characters that remain ingrained in the reader's mind long after reading the book. On top of it, the tale is so enthralling that you will not grow weary poring over it again. The supporting characters do not appear as an after-thought, occupy their roles well, and yet do not overshadow Ḷainjin and his mission. The lead character repeatedly captures the imagination and attention of the reader as he recalls the warnings of his grandfathers. In the process, he reveals his background and constant source of motivation in the arduous journey.

The author wove many themes into the fabric of this story, which combined with the various literary devices made for a memorable tale. The descriptions of the long, dangerous voyages at sea and life among islander friends during stoppages were vivid, as nothing was left to chance. The vivid descriptions made me visualize most scenes and feel like I was there, experiencing every moment. When the author introduced various cultural practices, weird rituals, and myths, they did not appear far-fetched. Undoubtedly, I loved the wisdom oozing from different characters.

I enjoyed reading The Forbidden Man. The historical fiction by Gerald R. Knight perfectly captures the world that once was, making the reader feel they have received a rare treat to time travel. The dangerous, yet inviting adventure is engrossing. I found the three-pronged quest: Ḷainjin's search for his mother, test of the validity of the teaching of his ancestors, and finding himself unique, exhilarating, and unforgettable. As a result, I happily rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I have not read its prequel, but my curiosity is already piqued to know what it entails.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. Every ardent fan of historical fiction will like poring over this masterpiece. I do not recommend the book to sensitive readers because it comprises sexual innuendos, vulgar words, and lurid, savage rituals.

The Forbidden Man
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Loneliness could be a strong driving force especially when one is lonely as a result of the absence of one's mother. I hope Ḷōpako was able to find his mother. Great review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I would probably devour this book. I'll catch up with the first one! Thanks ;)
Omark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Omark »

This is good review it makes me feel strong and courageous.this so much interested I will add to my list.thank you
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Barbara Perini »

Historical fiction is a genre that appeals to me, even though it's the second book, I felt like reading this book. Also, I'm glad to know that fact that it has a captivating plot. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Thanks for your great review, it made me curious about the story.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

We just need one thing to push us forward and all our past predicaments will be history. Good review.
Julius J James
Currently Reading: Herculubus or Red Planet
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-james-1.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Julius J James »

Lopako is a man of brave heart,courageous and strong. He never wanted to loose anything important to him easily. What a nice review!
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Quite an intriguing plot we have here. Would definitely love to have this book on my shelf. Great review here.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I would love to read this book because from the review it seems can make you feel emotional when you are reading it.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

It seems to be a fascinating book with no apparent flaws. You, as always, wrote an excellent review. Well done, kibetious.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

This is an exceptional review. I loved reading it. You used so many wonderful words and you definitely make one want to experience the book for one's self. Ḷōpako's quest sounds very dangerous and he is obviously a brave and determined character. It sounds like his journey is physical and psychological as he is motivated by loneliness, but eventually, finds closure.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Return to “Historical Fiction”