Review of A woman of power and influence

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Review of A woman of power and influence

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A woman of power and influence" by Michael Fairley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Robert, the nineteen-year-old duke of Normandy, comes across the most beautiful woman he had ever met while riding. Herleva enamors him. In the fullness of time, he makes her his mistress at the age of sixteen. The church and most of the nobles oppose their union, as she is not of the nobility. When, therefore, Herleva bears her first son William, Robert has to think about the illegitimate boy’s future. The opposition is so strong that Duke Robert I is forced to send his uncle, Archbishop Robert of Rouen, to exile. The resistance grows, though. Herleva advises the duke to reconcile with his uncle and the church, but Robert quests after establishing firm control over Normandy.

How long does it take before Robert pays attention to his mistress’ advice? What will become of Herleva and her son? Who remains standing by their side when money corrupts others?

A woman of power and Influence: Herleva de Falaise; from commoner to mother of a king is a historical fiction book. The author, Michael Fairley, pens down an exhilarating story of a little-known, powerful woman. It is the story of the daughter of a commoner who becomes the Norman duke’s mistress and eventually influences the history of both France and England immensely. In this book, Michael brings Herleva’s story and legacy to life, demonstrating her relevance.

The depth of Herleva’s insight was remarkable. From the start, her knowledge and skills distinguish her. She successfully sails through turbulent times, ensuring her family remains intact. Uncertainty hangs heavy in the air in the duchy of Normandy during the eleventh century. The author does not dwell on the details, but one cannot fail to feel the impact of attempted assassinations and general unrest throughout. A fragile glass hanging by a thin thread, it seems, holds peace. As a result, I was afraid about William’s safety when tough times came calling but remained confident his mother would protect him.

I liked the brevity of the book. However, it seems this becomes one of its downsides. There were few instances of vivid descriptions and, thus, making the narration plain. Infrequently, the story reads more of reported nonfiction than a direct narration. The events that lacked adequate details to capture the reader's attention and emotions bring a feeling akin to that of a distant observer, possessing zero interest in an event. Equally, I discovered several errors in the book, which means the editing was sloppy.

I rate the book two out of four stars due to the issues I stated in the preceding paragraph. Another round of editing will attract a higher rating. Ardent fans of historical fiction, especially those eager to learn more about Herleva de Falaise, will enjoy poring over the book.

A woman of power and influence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. I like to read historical fiction, but will wait until another round of editing occurs before I pick this one up. It sounds like there is a lot of information, but good descriptions help to make the book more interesting.
Ashley Castro 1
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ashley Castro 1 »

Thanks for the review. I like to read historical fiction but will wait until another part of editing occurs before I would pick it up.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I don't think I would enjoy this story with so many grammatical errors. I would wait for it to be properly edited
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This historical book sounds interesting, but I can't stand the sight of errors when reading. So I won't be picking this book. Thanks for your honest review.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

This book looks interesting but there are too many grammatical errors. I will wait until the author properly edited it. Thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”