Review of At The Crossing

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of At The Crossing

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "At The Crossing" by Darren Andrichuk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dusty has always lived for the feeling of fleeing the horrible results of her uncontrolled anger, an unfortunate recurring pattern she swore to correct with little hope of success. She soon finds herself in a town called Small River. After several weeks in the town, she defends the community from being raided by the dangerous Hamilton family. In the process, there’s an accidental discharge from her weapon that incapacitates an old man called Walter. Meanwhile, after some exchanges between her and the deputy sheriff, she feels she has broken the law and flees.

Dusty didn’t finish off the Hamilton family, and Katie Hamilton seeks revenge. Meanwhile, Dusty, after fleeing from several other towns, seeks a return to Small River; she feels she needs to be there for Walter since she is responsible for his condition. How would the people of Small River react to her return? Would they remember the slaying of the Hamilton brothers or the breaking of the law? With several alliances made on the way and a possible target on her back, Dusty embarks on a journey to right her wrongs. Read At The Crossing by Darren Andrichuk to find answers to the previous questions and more.

I enjoyed reading this novel for a lot of reasons. First, I like how the writer weaved the tale into a true-life story. The story took place around the time the Shoshone band was massacred by the US Army. It was interesting to read through Dusty's time with the Shoshone and what went through her mind while she was with them. Another thing I like is character development. All the characters were explained in a way that the reader would appreciate. At some point, you’d wonder who the main protagonist or antagonist is. At first, I thought it was Michael, Walter's son. Meanwhile, I fell in love with Katie, even if she seemed to be an antagonist. When the author narrated her background story, I found her character interesting.

The narrative style of the book is also one of the positive points. The third-person point of view ensured I had a bird-eye view of the events that took place. It was like I was there in person, witnessing everything unfold before my eyes. I also like that the author, at several points, gave us insights into what some of the characters were thinking. Because of this, I was able to understand their thought process better and draw more accurate conclusions about who they really were. Needless to say, the author organized the tale into an engaging plot. I followed the story without confusion and was happy with how each scene unfolded. My favorite scene was when Dusty and her team confronted Guardo and his gang in a gunfight. In the book, Guardo is the leader of a notorious gang that terrorized the town of Small River after one of their men was killed in that town.

I don’t have any complaints about the book; I liked everything about it. Moreover, this edition is professionally edited; I found less than ten errors in the text. I rate the novel 4 out of 4 stars. Readers that are interested in historical fiction would enjoy this one. If you like books that are filled with action and thrills, this book is also for you. However, readers that are affected by profanity are advised to steer clear of this novel; there are lots of profane language in the text.

At The Crossing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. This book sounds like it would be an unpredictable and compelling read. Thank you so much for your great review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amy Luman »

We all feel like Dusty at one time or another. We just want to flee from everything not in our control. Thanks for the review!
Nolwazi Ideal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Nolwazi Ideal »

This is a narrative story yet informative, it is mind blowing and it is a definitely must read.
It has lessons about capability, forgiveness and Unity. All the characters in the story well present their selfs and expectations the reader on the description of the characters
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

Dusty’s stigma is one that can happen to anyone,once in our life we try to run away from our fears and the things that are hurting us ,but still we have to face our demons and conquer them,nice review.
Manojkumar 123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Manojkumar 123 »

The storyline of this book is very good and should be read by all the children, we get to learn that the reason for running away from our difficulties should be to fight it.
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Post by Lauren Hanna »

I enjoy historical fiction and like how the author incorporated the story into a true tale. I will give this book a try. Thank you for your thorough review.
Poojitha Borra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojitha-borra.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Poojitha Borra »

Dusty seems like a magnet which attracts trouble. Interesting plot and elaborate review.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I am glad to know that some authors still tell rather than showing the happenings in the story. Thanks for the review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I think everyone should learn to face their fears and not run away from them, I hope Dusty gets over the challenges at the end, nice review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”