Review of Sky Angel

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Review of Sky Angel

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sky Angel" by Kris Owen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A devastating family tragedy was experienced by Jake, just at the age of six. A road accident took away his two-year-old baby brother Brian and left his mother in severe physical and mental distress. An angel becomes a guiding light for Jake, who told him that Brian has gone to heaven with him. Jake envisions the angel at some crucial points in time in his life, which you would witness in the story Sky Angel by Kris Owen.

Following the footsteps of his father and grandfather, Jake joins the American Air Force. He is part of the US Force in the Vietnam War. He faces the perils of the war, but he also experiences some tender moments in Vietnam. Somehow, Jake returns home safely from the deadly war; the angel seemed to guide him during critical situations. Back home, he lives a civilian’s life and is involved in his commitments as a family man. Jake’s parents, John and Kathy, are strongly bonded irrespective of the dire situations they face. A significant portion of the story delves into their lives. Bobby, Jake’s younger brother, is very dear to him. Rose is the love of his life, whom he ultimately marries. She acts as strong support to Jake, who has not fully recovered from the stress caused due to the war. Rose also willingly accepts the truth about John’s intimate relationship in Vietnam.

I enjoyed this fast-paced light reading in bits and parts that put a smile on my face occasionally. Especially the scenes that portrayed the blooming relationship between Jake and Rose were adorable. Jake’s mother instigated him toward taking the first step so that he could get closer to Rose. Jake was amused by his mother’s behavior at times. However, this sort of mother and son relationship was enjoyable to see. Jake’s father, John, had a romantic relationship in his later years. John was not sure how he would deal with this; Jake encouraged him to go ahead with it. These kinds of light-hearted instances in the story were cheery. I could not stop my laugh at an occasion in this read when Jake is recruited in the US Force and has to get a crew haircut - “As he sat in the barber chair, he heard one of the long-haired recruits ask for just a trim.” I also cherished the emotional letter written by John for a funeral. The ending of the book was also quite convincing.

This story includes some sad incidents. One of the accidents involving John could have been avoided in this book, which I think is unnecessary. Some of the descriptions seem to lack detailing and appear unimpressive; one such instance is the rampant firing incident in a village in Vietnam.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This should make for a good light reading that contains various human emotions like love, grief, romance, etc. There are also short descriptions of wars in this story. I would recommend it to an audience who enjoy similar themes in a story, which also includes some intimate scenes. There are quite a few editing errors in this book.

Sky Angel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I like that this story explores the realistic ups and downs of life. The characters are clearly not perfect, and they have made mistakes. But it seems like they try to make the best of every situation. Despite the errors, this book sounds interesting.

Thank you for your detailed review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

When I saw the cover, I expected a children’s book, but the actual story is not a disappointment either. I like light, face paced books and am not afraid of sad scenes either! I might give this book a try, thanks for the review!
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

This book ticks all my boxes. Sad tragedies? Historical fiction? Wholesome relationships? Will probably tear my heart into pieces at some parts? Fabulous.

Return to “Historical Fiction”