Review of The Bastard of Colonia

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of The Bastard of Colonia

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bastard of Colonia" by T.J.S. Hayes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On reaching Colonia, young Charles was introduced to more than he had ever imagined. He was bewildered beyond imagination, as he had been living far from any contact with the rest of humanity. Having known only his mother for the first seven years of his life, he was beginning to learn hatred existed in the world. Many loved him, but some wanted to harm him. In all this, there appears to be a force that is constantly at work, keeping him safe. Fifty years later, Charles recounts the details surrounding his life to a priest on his deathbed. What results is a marvelous account of both a hero and a villain, a prince and a bastard. It is so remarkable that no ardent fan of historical fiction will stop reading it.

The Bastard of Colonia: Volume One of The Songs of the Franks was authored by T.J.S. Hayes and published in 2021. In approximately 526 pages, the author pens a tale that will leave every reader wanting more. The narration is top-notch, and the characters brilliantly developed. I found myself rooting for characters I had disliked in the preceding chapters. Duke Pepin, the Mayor of the Palaces of Austrasia, Neustria, and Burgundia, is a mighty, relentless ruler. Yet, somehow, one sympathizes with him on understanding what he has to deal with daily. It is a world where others operate secretly and can turn a son against the father and the commoners up against the nobles. Nevertheless, amid heartbreaking betrayals, I admired how loyalty shone brighter like a light in the dark of the night.

There is so much to appreciate about this novel. It is like sailing through the seas. From time to time, it was calm, and there was time to enjoy the delicacies life has to offer. Other times, the rough sailing was accompanied by palpable fear and debilitating losses. Regardless of the situation, there was movement. The transition between each state was abrupt, and you never knew what lay ahead. Even when I thought I had a glimpse of how an event would transpire, the author proved there were limitless possible outcomes. These twists and turns made me enjoy the story more. In addition to all these, Charles will enamor everyone.

The first-person narration makes the events so tangible and captivating. You are there, actively living and reliving every memory with Charles. The story is so unique and enthralling that you draw to its end only to desire to start rereading it. One is amazed by mundane things, like how magical literacy sounded to the few who accessed it in ancient times. It is a journey filled with both pleasant and unpleasant circumstances. The vivid descriptions of scenes cause time to stand still, as the reader savors every moment. I can only imagine how captivating the other novels in the series will be, given that this was only the beginning.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. I rate the book four out of four stars because it enabled me to travel back to a world that preceded our times. Apart from the exhilarating journey, the setting was spectacular, with unique names and terms. Equally, the editing was professionally done. Anyone who enjoys historical fiction will find this book mesmerizing. Readers should be aware that there a few cuss words in the book. They did not detract from the overall enjoyment, though.

The Bastard of Colonia
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This review makes me not only want to read this book, but the whole series. I like to believe that I am sensitive to the plight of children, especially those who are mistreated.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

Your review is very well written. I'm now planning on reading the book because I love historical fiction and the theme of betrayals between royals is very thrilling!
Tuki-Martina
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Tuki-Martina »

This review makes me curious to know more about the book. It's to the and definitely not a spoiler but intrigues me to know about Charles and the plight he had to face for a sin he was born from. I think it depicts what goes on behind closed doors in royal families.

Return to “Historical Fiction”