Review of Brick in the Wall

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Review of Brick in the Wall

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brick in the Wall" by Addison Marsh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War is a period of chaos and peril, but still, there are rules of engagement. After the war caused by Hitler, specific individuals were being tried for crimes committed during the war, and some were evading capture. Abigail Marshall was sent to help in capturing one of the suspects. This mission is dangerous and just might cost a life.

What started as a routine desk job quickly turns into a search that leads Abigail to a town ravaged by war and with dark secrets. What was just a job for her becomes an avenue for her to seek justice.

Brick In The Wall by Addison Marsh was an exciting story filled with exciting events. It was educational, as it gave me an insight into what the early post-war era looked like. Although fictional, it contained almost similar but in-depth details to the stories of post-war periods I have previously read. Thus, it was both an entertaining and educational story.

What made the story enjoyable wasn't only the storyline but the detailed descriptions given and the character development. From the book's specific attributes, I saw the story from the author's view and flowed with the overall plot. The descriptions also helped in aiding the tension in the book. Take, for instance, at the point Post was being ambushed on the peat farm, I was so tensed because it felt like I was right beside them. Another example where I felt the tension was when Post accosted Abbie in a club. I wouldn't go into details to avoid spoilers, but I was tensed while reading that scene.

Talking about character development, I observed that Abigail developed from a reserved individual just doing her job to a risk-taker searching for justice. This character development also influenced her role in the book.

For a book in the historical fiction genre, I expected to see a blend of fact and fiction. Thankfully, the author did not disappoint. Infusing the life of a real-life character like Adolf Hitler into a fictional story was fantastic. The facts were verifiable but didn't drown the fictional storyline.

Overall, Brick In The Wall was an entertaining book. However, it had one flaw. There was no suspense in the read, as there was no unexpected event in the book. Instead, every event in the book was predictable. I didn't lose interest in the read, though, as it was interesting.

Regardless of my last comment, I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. A 3-star rating wouldn't capture how I felt about the book holistically. The editing was okay; there were only a couple of errors. I would recommend the book to lovers of character-centered historical fiction.

Brick in the Wall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

Wonderful review for many people to understand the central line of the book. I liked the description that fiction can be written in a way that it looks like reality. I am eager to read it.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

This historical fiction book takes readers to the post-WWII years and paints an accurate picture of life back then. It's a plus that it's both entertaining and educational.
Aljun Jalandoni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Aljun Jalandoni »

:lol: The story revolves around Abigail Marshall, a MI9 special officer, and her first overseas mission, which takes place during the early Cold War. It's a fast-paced novel, and Addison's great narrative shines through.
I especially liked how Addison brought the reader into the story and gradually built up the suspense.
This book is a must-read for everyone looking for a light read, especially those interested in situations from the Cold War.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I've never read any historical fiction around this timeline and events. Looks like I could start from here! Thank you for such a clear and wonderful account of the book! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A good historical fiction with a fictional storyline and some real facts. It sounds intriguing. Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”