Official Review: The Truth of the Matter by Leigh Fleming

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Official Review: The Truth of the Matter by Leigh Fleming

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Truth of the Matter" by Leigh Fleming.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Back in the 1800s, men vehemently disputed women's aptitude. It is sad to note that some women were among those who degraded women by emphasizing that they were the inferior gender. They believed that females should rely on guidance from men, women should not leave the nests of their parents before marriage, and that a woman should settle for what men felt was best for them.

The Truth of the Matter by Leigh Fleming revolves around a dauntless and fearless lady named Laurel. Her father, Calvin, rubbishes her desire to pursue artwork and become a career woman. Calvin despises Laurel. He assaults and torments her whenever she turns up home from school a minute late. The two can hardly have a father-daughter conversation. Calvin blames his attitude on Laurel possessing traits tantamount to her grandmother, Margaret. Determined to deduce the source of her predicament, Laurel sets out to meet Margaret, who lives in Zion. The journey to find answers is a tumultuous one, but it eventually shapes her destiny. What are the consequences of the visit on the health status of Margaret?

What I loved most about this novel is its ability to evoke emotions. I had to pause reading it a couple of times to wipe off the tears that had filled my eyes whenever Calvin got home. He incessantly hurled abuses at her daughter and wife whenever a chance presented itself. To make matters worse, he turned Laurel into his punching bag. John’s torture and injustice while under incarceration further added salt on the open wound. Fleming did a splendid job in developing characters. I admired Cillian’s personality. He always showed up during Laurel’s times of need. His sheer determination and innovation also prompted him to create a rotating ramp, which propelled the industrial revolution. Norville was an acme of selfishness. His actions posed a risk on Margaret’s fragile family bond.

There was nothing that I disliked in this book. Based on the highlighted reasons, I wholeheartedly rate it four out of four stars. The use of women as instrumental characters was commendable. Moreover, the suspenseful nature spiced it up. I found myself burning the midnight oil as I devoured its contents. Lastly, I appreciate the use of dialogues, which gives the book a fluid flow.

I recommend this novel to lovers of historical fiction. Romance enthusiasts will also find it enthralling. The author wittily created an atmosphere of love. It seems exceptionally edited since I never flagged any grammatical errors.

The Truth of the Matter
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

What I understand from your review that its a great story and Laurel is a character many can relate to. Her father assaulting her is awful and it will be good to read about how and what happens when Laurel and Margaret meet. Great Review!
gicuzziol
Currently Reading: Heroes of Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by gicuzziol »

This is definitively the kind of book that gets my attention immediately. It is so sad that her own father assaults and torments her, but that should make it relatable for women at that time. What I love about your review is that I can connect to it, and I loved knowing Fleming describes and develops the characters very well. Thanks for the review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds so heartbreaking. I’m very interested to read it to discover Margaret’s history and how she fits in with Laurels future. Thanks for the great review!
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by S P »

This book sounds really amazing, thank you for reviewing it so wonderfully! I love it when books are so hard to put down, it definitely sounds like a book I'd read very quickly for that reason.

Return to “Historical Fiction”