Official Review: Unclean Hands by Andrew Schafer

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Official Review: Unclean Hands by Andrew Schafer

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unclean Hands" by Andrew Schafer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Unclean Hands by Andrew Schafer is a nonfiction book that is based on a true-life story. It talks about how a doctor strives to discover the causes of an increasing death rate among pregnant women and the challenges he encounters.

A strange ailment is killing the women in Vienna’s General Hospital at an alarming rate. Unfortunately, only a few people cared. When Dr. Ignác Semmelweis was employed in the hospital, he became concerned about the increasing women’s death rates at the maternity ward. Just then, one of his friends at the hospital also died from a similar illness. That gave him a hint, and he is bent on discovering the causes of these deaths. However, he is faced with too many strong oppositions. What did Dr. Ignác Semmelweis discover? And to what extent are his competitors willing to go to frustrate him? Was this discovery impactful? Read this book to find out the answers.

I must commend the author for using understandable and straightforward diction. Although I am not a medical student, I understood the storyline. Also, despite the chronological arrangement of the book, it is filled with suspense. My desire to find out the outcome of Ignác’s discovery kept me reading right till the end. Another impressive thing about the book is that it is very educative. Medical students will appreciate the history of sepsis and antisepsis. Also, people without a medical background will learn how different diseases surfaced. The book is an eye-opener; I get to know the life-challenging hardship most scientists encounter in their quest for answers.

Therefore, I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars based on the positive points listed above. Also, this is a well-written book. At some point, it felt like I was reading a memoir of a particular person. But I like how the author clarified it in his postscript by separating the facts from the fictional story. The book is also well edited because I noticed only a few grammatical errors.

The plot and characterization of the book are very relatable. Marko is a true friend. I admire his loyalty as a friend and his pieces of advice, which strengthen Ignác. He never gave up on his friend. Ignác’s crazy thoughts about his superiors were quite hilarious; it reminded me of myself.

Despite how excellent the book was, I did not appreciate the way events ended with Ignác. I guess that’s why it’s a novel crafted out of a true-life story. Other than that, I enjoyed every other thing about the book.

I would recommend this book to lovers of science-related stories. If you desire to learn a bit about medical history, then this book is also for you.

Unclean Hands
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Doctor Ignác's quest to discover the cause of the maternal mortality in the hospital he works and his dedication to finding a solution to that shows so much humanity. I'd really love to know how he fared in his quest.

Great review.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I like that this book is educational as well. Sounds engaging. Thank you for your informative and great review!
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Sounds interesting. What is this ailment.? I think this is definitely a book I will like. Thanks for your great review
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Just from your description I'm eager to find out the reasons behind the deaths and it's made all the better by being non-fiction. I truly enjoy learning about the amazing feats people can accomplish. Thanks for the great review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Wow!! This is very common in work places, jealousy, envy, etc. I'm already invested in the storyline. Thanks for a great review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It will be great to read the story about the doctor's quest to find the truth and the title is very interesting. Excellent review.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

I love people that love to find solutions to a problem bedevilling a lot of people and would definitely enjoy this book. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”