Official Review: Bloodlines (A Dying Truth Exposed, Book ...

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Official Review: Bloodlines (A Dying Truth Exposed, Book ...

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bloodlines (A Dying Truth Exposed, Book One)" by Marcus Abston.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bloodlines (A Dying Truth Exposed, Book One) tells the touching story of Annabelle Brown, a black slave. She decides to seek freedom from her master by running away. She encounters a lot of difficulties and setbacks while on the journey. Will Annabelle succeed in her pursuit of freedom?

Bloodlines (A Dying Truth Exposed, Book One) was a fantastic read. I was captivated by the story from the very beginning. How the events in the book were presented was intriguing. I felt a heightened sense of anticipation when reading. The book contained a lot of suspense. It also had a series of unexpected occurrences. For one, Ruthanne and Elizabeth's reaction towards Annabelle was utterly unexpected. Also, I didn't see Benjamin's fate coming; I was blown off my feet by what happened to him in the end. The author won my admiration with the clever twists and turns here and there; however, I was not confused at any point. My anticipation for the next installment of the series heightened when I finished this book.

I commend Marcus Abston's writing style. The narrative was too realistic to be fictional; I had to double-check the description to make sure that it was a fictional book. The detailed description of the characters and their mannerisms made the story come alive. Differentiating the speech pattern of the Blacks and Whites added a cultural flair to the narrative. The writing form was also easy to understand. I was amazed that even though the book was written in an older form of English, I still understood it easily.

I must also commend the editors for a job well done. For a book of this size, I find it commendable to notice only two errors while reading it. These errors involve a missing article and preposition, respectively. Therefore, the book can pass for a professionally edited literary work.

The book's storyline wasn't unique, as I'd read a couple of books with similar storylines. However, Marcus took it from a completely different angle. Most books portray slaves as always remaining in slavery. Even when they leave a slave master, they remain in servitude to another one. However, Marcus twisted it into a storyline where slaves seek freedom. The twist in this cliché storyline was the kicker.

I enjoyed reading this book. In my opinion, it was a fantastic read. I saw no faults with it and look forward to its sequel. I'd give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars, as it was an excellent book. I would recommend the book to lovers of historical fiction stories set in the era of slavery.

Bloodlines (A Dying Truth Exposed, Book One)
View: on Bookshelves
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

This sounds very interesting. It sounds like you really enjoyed this book. Thank you for the review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I find it fascinating when different social classes have unique slang and speech patterns as you described. Good review.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

Being a black girl myself, slavery is a touchy subject but this author seems to have done the topic of slavery justice and we do not have enough of such authors. This is a great review.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This sounds like an informative and entertaining story. I hope she is finally able to be free. I will have to read this one and find out.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This book and its host of characters sound intriguing, as does the twist in the storyline; I'll have to read it and find out what happens. Thanks for the great review!
nwaobifrancesca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaobifrancesca.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by nwaobifrancesca »

Such a wonderful review. You have a good command of the English language and a unique writing style. The review is very informing. A story about slavery is something I'll always want to read. I hope to get the book sometime.
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

Guess this book is worth a try. Great job with the review!!
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
M_Creed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by M_Creed »

This is an outstanding review the topic of slavery never ceases to amaze me😌
Ebubechinwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebubechinwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ebubechinwaogazie »

This is such an appealing review. Will love to know the outcome of Annabelle in his pursuit of freedom.
Monica_Ngali
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-ngali.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Monica_Ngali »

This sounds like an amazing piece of work actually am thinking of reading it.Thanks for the review
Kibe_Ryan
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibe-ryan.html
Latest Review: Beyond Paris by Paul Alexander Casper

Post by Kibe_Ryan »

The review is fascinating, you must have found the book interesting for sure. I love your review. I actually tink it will propel me into reading it.
Kibe_Ryan
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibe-ryan.html
Latest Review: Beyond Paris by Paul Alexander Casper

Post by Kibe_Ryan »

The review is fascinating, you must have found the book interesting for sure. I love your review. I actually think it will propel me into reading it.
ShadowOracle
Currently Reading: Respect
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadoworacle.html
Latest Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Post by ShadowOracle »

This review is great. I am an avid reader of historical fiction and after reading your view I will definitely give this a try.
Lenny 23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lenny 23 »

The review is great ,its creates a suspenseful environment which makes one eager to read it

Return to “Historical Fiction”