Official Review: Countess Tyrone And The Earls

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Official Review: Countess Tyrone And The Earls

Post by Joy Phill »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Countess Tyrone And The Earls" by may Cassidy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life can be unpredictable and unfair. Common men and nobles alike are subject to life's unexpected trials. Countess Tyrone and the Earls by May Cassidy tells the tale of the trials faced by a group of Ireland nobles.

The year is 1607, September 4th. Earl Tyrone, Earl Tyrconnell, Cuchonnacht Maguire, and Cathabarr O'Donnell with ninety-nine followers suddenly departed from their beloved land. Speculations about the real reason for their departure abound. Also, the emotional impact of the flight from their homeland is largely missing from the pages of history.

Countess Tyrone, Rose O'Doherty, and Nuala O'Donnell were strong women who accompanied their men as they journeyed into the unknown. They endured near shipwreck, traveled in dangerous territories, endured betrayal, and much more. Can the King of Spain be relied upon to keep his word? Will Bridget ever be reunited with her husband? Will the ailing Earls recover? These and other intriguing questions are answered in this book.

May Cassidy has done much research to assemble a trustworthy account of this historical event. About this, she said, 'I research facts found in documents, English state papers, historical periods and books... I give the characters a voice and feelings, bringing them to life.'

This book is a delight to read. The narrative is descriptive and detailed. It describes thoughts and feelings in the minutest detail. It felt as if I was not only reading but also watching the events unfold. For instance, when describing Sir Toby, the narrative said, "His sparse hair appears in some fury as it struggles to cover his baldness. An insincere smile is born, hemorrhaging upon his lips." Also, there were no gaps in the story. The narrative follows the characters through every step of the journey. I enjoyed accompanying the characters to several places of interest. I felt as if I was also a tourist.

The grammatical structure of this book is simple and clear. The sentences flowed smoothly without errors. This is what I love most about this book. I learned much about endurance, friendship, and family. My only dislike about this book is its conclusion. It lacked proper closure with some important questions left unanswered. However, this did not impact my enjoyment of the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was beautifully written and contains only borderline profanities. It was awesomely edited. Lovers of historical fiction will find this book interesting.

Countess Tyrone And The Earls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I like books that try to present the people present in the history books. It is a great way to learn and remember history. Your detailed review piqued my interest, and I appreciate your recommendation. Great job!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Thanks for the honest review and great quote chosen from the book! It sounds like the author has a sense of humor.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

History is filled with many individuals and to read about them feels great and weird at the same time. I think it will be a good story on board. Great Review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Lovely to read that you felt like a tourist reading this book. Sounds like the author does a good job with his writing. Thank you for a lovely review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Thanks for the great review. It definitely caught my attention and put the book at the very top of my reading list.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I love such books. Thank you for recommendation.
Ochieng Omuodo
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

The book is indeed painfully honest. I would go further and describe it as brutally honest. I also like the inclusion of her thoughts. Indeed, they do bring reality to the fore.
Ochieng Omuodo
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

The anger that is identified in the description of the book is definitely evident in the book itself. Cooper is brutally honest about her feelings and opinions such as, but not limited to, society's unfair expectations of women.

Return to “Historical Fiction”