Official Review: The Incarnation by Arthur Telling

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: The Incarnation by Arthur Telling

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Incarnation" by Arthur Telling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Incarnation: Cleopatra's Story of Jesus, written by Arthur Telling, is a novel based on historical events. It takes readers on a fascinating journey involving ancient Egypt, reincarnation, the early years of Christianity, the letters of the Apostle Paul, and a heretic gospel, the Gospel of Thomas.

At the end of World War II, a collection of texts containing more than a hundred sayings of the living Jesus was found in the Egyptian town of Nag Hammadi. The author explains that fictitious narrative and dialogue have been inserted in the book, but he asserts that it’s not unlike the way it truly happened. Throughout the book, we learn that the Gospel of Thomas does not mention a crucifixion. Moreover, the author tells a completely different story of Jesus, but I have to tread carefully here not to give away spoilers. What I can say is that in this version, Mary Magdalene has blood ties to Julius Caesar and Cleopatra, and she and Jesus had a relationship.

Starting with the negatives, the story seems, as you may imagine, a bit farfetched, even to non-judgmental readers. It is hard to believe that Western scholars have collectively ignored such a radical alternate version of the birth of Christianity and its canons. This aspect was what I liked the least.

On the other hand, speaking of positives, the book entails solid references. The chapters were well-structured, the chronology was well-handled, and the author provided an impressive list of references. The author also dives deep into Paul’s missionary journeys and letters, providing comprehensive historical and geographical contexts, as well as several biblical transcriptions. I liked the vivid description of the political and cultural landscape. For instance, I particularly appreciated the part about Paul in Athens and how he drew some interest from curious Epicurean and Stoic Greek philosophers. The narrative of Paul’s arrest by Roman soldiers in Miletus is also a noteworthy passage. Above all, The Incarnation bears a deeply heartwarming underlying message: the Kingdom of God is in truth here for those who wish to see.

In closing, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I removed a star from the rating due to the negative aspect previously mentioned and also because of editing issues. Still, it is a good read that I recommend to open-minded readers interested in an unorthodox perspective on religion and history. Those who value a more traditional approach to Christianity might not like it as much, though.

The Incarnation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Now I'm interested in reading the Gospel of Thomas. Still, am assuming he's the 'doubting Thomas'. Thank you for such an insightful review.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

We certainly heard various accounts and stories of Mary Magdalene having a relationship with Jesus. Would be interesting to read this book. Great review.
Izzy0503
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Izzy0503 »

Well this is a nice book got nice ideas from it I think I’m writing mine too soon
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I would love to read this interesting book of Egypt's reincarnation and the early days of Christianity as this review brings to light a lot of information which could be gained by the wonderful writing of Telling.
Loveen Kalya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loveen-kalya.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Loveen Kalya »

I feel like this review was directed to me. I value traditional approaches to Christianity and seeing that it is a combination of that and history, am intrigued. It's a 'want to read' for me.
:lol:
Helena Kas
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Helena Kas »

As a Christian, this sounds like a good side(?) story of the Bible. I admire writers that are giving detailed dates on their books and I also love Egypt, so I might give it a go. Thanks for the review!
Nathan Omunyokol

Post by Nathan Omunyokol »

In a conversation with a friend at one time, this alternative side to the story came up although it wasn't grounded in written facts. This book review tickles my curious mind and I would be interested in reading this account of the story and try to see how much divergent it is from the traditional known stories of Jesus Christ. Thank you
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

The book grapples with controversial ideas, introducing a narrative that challenges conventional beliefs. The notion of Mary Magdalene's lineage tied to Julius Caesar and Cleopatra, along with her relationship with Jesus, is both audacious and, to some, farfetched. It's a departure from traditional scholarship, presenting a radical alternate version of Christianity's birth, which might prove challenging for some readers to embrace.
Asif Sultan
Currently Reading: Critical Habitat

Post by Asif Sultan »

"The Incarnation: Cleopatra's Story of Jesus" by Arthur Telling is a thought-provoking novel that weaves a captivating narrative around historical events, ancient Egypt, reincarnation, and the early years of Christianity. The author skillfully incorporates the Gospel of Thomas, a heretic gospel found in Nag Hammadi, and takes readers on a journey that challenges conventional views of the birth of Christianity.

Telling introduces a radical alternate version of Jesus's story, intertwining it with the intriguing lineage of Mary Magdalene, who, in this version, has blood ties to Julius Caesar and Cleopatra. The narrative delves into the Gospel of Thomas, highlighting its omission of the crucifixion and offering a unique perspective on the relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.

One notable strength of the book lies in its solid references, well-structured chapters, and meticulous handling of chronology. The author provides an impressive list of references, ensuring a scholarly foundation for the narrative. The exploration of Paul's missionary journeys and letters adds depth to the historical and geographical contexts, with biblical transcriptions enhancing the authenticity of the story.

The vivid descriptions of the political and cultural landscape, particularly Paul's interactions with Greek philosophers in Athens, showcase Telling's commitment to historical accuracy. The narrative provides a nuanced understanding of the Kingdom of God, delivering a deeply heartwarming underlying message for those willing to explore unconventional perspectives.

While the narrative presents a compelling story, some readers may find it a bit farfetched, challenging established beliefs about the origins of Christianity. The skepticism expressed by non-judgmental readers may reflect the difficulty in accepting such a radical reinterpretation of historical events.

On the positive side, the book's open-minded approach invites readers to consider a different perspective on religion and history. The exploration of unorthodox ideas is complemented by Telling's attention to historical details and contexts. However, the review notes editing issues as a drawback, impacting the overall reading experience.

In conclusion, "The Incarnation" earns a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The deduction is attributed to the perceived far-fetched nature of the narrative and editing concerns. Despite these drawbacks, the book is recommended for open-minded readers interested in exploring unconventional views on religion and history. Those with a preference for more traditional approaches to Christianity may find the narrative less appealing.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 812
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

In Arthur Telling's book "The Incarnation", the author's meticulous references promise a well-structured journey through historical events making it a compelling read for those curious about unconventional perspectives on religion and history.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Melane Cervantes
Currently Reading: The Way of the Goddess
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melane-cervantes.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Melane Cervantes »

"This review brilliantly captures the intricate tapestry of 'The Incarnation: Cleopatra's Story of Jesus.' The exploration of ancient Egypt, reincarnation, and the Gospel of Thomas adds a captivating layer to the narrative. The reviewer's nuanced critique balances the farfetched elements with the book's solid references, well-structured chapters, and deep dives into Paul's journeys. The connection between Mary Magdalene, Julius Caesar, and Cleopatra adds an intriguing twist. It's a thoughtful evaluation that mirrors my own sentiments after reading, and the 3 out of 4 stars rating feels just right, acknowledging both the strengths and weaknesses of this unconventional perspective on religion and history."
INZAMAMUL HAQUE 2
Currently Reading: Young Americans
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inzamamul-haque-2.html
Latest Review: Why God Allows Evil and Suffering by Sine Nomine

Post by INZAMAMUL HAQUE 2 »

“The Incarnation" is a deeply insightful and reflective book that challenges readers to reflect on the meaning of life, spirituality, and the human experience. It is a well-crafted piece of literature that inspires open-mindedness and offers a fresh perspective on some of the most profound questions of existence. Throughout the book, the author masterfully weaves together stories and insights to create an engaging and thought-provoking reading experience. From the first page to the last, "The Incarnation" will keep you captivated and leave you with a renewed sense of wonder and appreciation for life.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I admire the references, chronology, and creativity of this story. However, it does seem to be a little of a stretch with the storyline. The first few pages were intriguing enough to continue. Thank you for writing such an exemplary review!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Ayushi_Chaudhary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayushi-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ayushi_Chaudhary »

The book is not my cup of tea. The review seems so detailed and explanatory that it covers all the aspects of the book. The review also tells the group of people who will like it and who will not. I would definitely want to congratulate the author for BOTD!!

Return to “Historical Fiction”