Official Review: Greezy Creek by George R. Justice

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Greezy Creek by George R. Justice

Post by Beatus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Greezy Creek" by George R. Justice.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

George R. Justice is a brilliant author. In his book, Greezy Creek, he brought alive the backdrop of breathtaking Kentucky's mountain scenery. The prologue introduces the protagonist, Rubin Cain, a retired sheriff receiving a letter from his friend, Calvin, a Cincinnati judge. Calvin is serving on a three-judge panel, taking a plea in a murder case that he thinks involves Rubin's relatives from Greezy Creek. This letter reminded Rubin of sixty-eight years ago, during the recession after his father died. The time when mystery, murder, genuine friendship, and an epic journey to self-discovery began.

Rubin grew up in a place called Caney Creek. After his father died, he went to live with his grandmother, a traditional healer. When Rubin turned fourteen, he finally moved to Greezy Creek to live with his aunt Mary Olive. Here, wits and determination are survival's primary requirements. The mountains and the weather had a way of toughening up the residents of Greezy Creek, whose employment of choice would've been bootlegging Moonshine whiskey if it weren't for the law. In Greezy Creek, to be legally right may not be enough, and to be morally right may not be the most comfortable choice.

The author intricately elaborated the most complicated life's experiences with such intensity that I became the protagonist in my mind. I got interested in this book immediately after I saw the cover. This book is a work of art perfected from the characters' demeanor to their accent, making it easy for the reader to conjure vivid images rich with voices and even smells. At five hundred seventy-seven pages, the tome is full of twists, turns, and heart-wrenching moments.

I loved everything about this narrative because it highlights some things I've seen happen in Tanzania. Before the planting season and during the harvesting season, every farmer will perform a ritual to protect the farm and crops. The belief is, if you don't, you may never harvest at all, and if you do, you will be doing it for someone else. It was very intriguing to know that rituals were a thing in Kentucky in the 1930s.

I commend the author for engaging professionals to edit this book, for I found very few errors. I recommend this book to readers who'd enjoy a bit of history and an excellent hard-knock life story in Kentucky, USA, in the 1930s. Because the book contains some violent scenes, it may not be suitable for younger readers. With such brilliant writing style, structure, and detailed narration, I have no other choice but to rate Greezy Creek by George R. Justice 4 out of 4 stars.

Greezy Creek
View: on Bookshelves
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I love books that transform us from readers to protagonists. It's one of my favorite feelings, and the author seems to masterfully use his writing skills. Such a fluent review! Thanks!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I loved everything about this narrative because it highlights some things I've seen happen in Tanzania. Before the planting season and during the harvesting season, every farmer will perform a ritual to protect the farm and crops. The belief is, if you don't, you may never harvest at all, and if you do, you will be doing it for someone else. It was very intriguing to know that rituals were a thing in Kentucky in the 1930s.
I love it when you introduce information about your culture. It enriches your reviews so much! And they're more personal, somehow. I guess all farming societies are afraid of losing their livelihood. It makes sense, but the coincidence is very interesting.
Thank you for your review!
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

You sold me on this one. This book needs to go on my TBR shelf. Thanks for the review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossroads by Andrew Slac
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I am Native American on reservation land. I know that we hold pow wows that involve dances for prosperity, hunting, fertility, and more. The rituals you mention sound similar. This sounds like a deep book with excelkent character development. I am going to check it out for sure. Great review!
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Your terrific book review is filled with such high praise that I am going to follow your well-written recommendation to read this book. I am interested to read about the life of Rubin Cain in Kentucky. Great review!
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: The Big Necesscaries by Beth Weiler

Post by Christell Lindeque »

I don't really feel this one. So I will have to pass on it. It just doesn't seem interesting to me. The review was great though.

Return to “Historical Fiction”