Official Review: The Lines Between Us

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Official Review: The Lines Between Us

Post by winecellarlibrary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lines Between Us" by Rebecca D'Harlingue.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D’Harlingue is a historical fiction novel with a dual timeline. I would also classify it as literary fiction and women’s fiction due to its study of the treatment of women across many centuries. This is not to say that the novel would not be enjoyed by men; in fact, I believe it would be enjoyed by men and women alike, as well as anyone with an interest in Spanish history, Catholic history, Jewish history, colonial history, and family sagas.

After the prologue, the novel is divided into two parts: Old World and New World. The first third of the book is dedicated to the Old World, set in seventeenth-century Madrid, Spain, in which the character Ana comes across two diaries. The first is the diary of her late husband Emilio; reading his entries, Ana learns that there was much more to the man she married than she ever knew while he was alive. The second is the diary of her niece Juliana. Juliana has disappeared suddenly, and Ana looks for clues to her disappearance in the journal as she embarks upon a journey to Sevilla to find her niece. The remainder of the book is dedicated to the New World, set in 1992 in St. Louis, Missouri, in which Rachel has just lost her mother. Her mother’s final words, “I am like Ana. I have failed Juliana,” make no sense to Rachel until she finds some very old papers among her mother’s things. Picking up where Juliana’s diary entries left off in her first diary in Old World, Rachel possesses Juliana’s second diary and can hardly believe what she has found is real. In these documents, Rachel learns the reasons for Juliana’s flight from Madrid, as well as a haunting family secret passed down through generations.

The novel is poetic in its verse. D’Harlingue’s mastery of the written word is apparent throughout the book. If you read this book for no other reason, read it for its prose. The writing style is easily my favorite aspect of the book. The only complaint I have is that when Juliana writes about certain verbal exchanges she has with others, the author has a strange way of introducing them. Perhaps to excuse the word-for-word dialogue being written in a diary entry, D’Harlingue introduces such exchanges with a sort of excuse. For example, in the entry dated 6 March 1661, Juliana writes, “I shall write here the details of our conversation. Perhaps because of the height of my emotion during our discussion, I remember each moment.” In my opinion, these excuses, for lack of a better term, are somewhat unbelievable as I cannot imagine anyone writing in their diary in this manner.

I was quite pleased with the quality of editing in this novel. The few errors I found were very minor and were not a distraction. The structure is fluid; both Old World and New World alternate seamlessly between narrative and journal entries. Each journal entry serves a purpose, sharing an important aspect of the story with the reader. There are no superfluous diary entries or details in the narrative. Additionally, it is evident that D’Harlingue spent a great deal of time conducting research in order to compose this novel.

Due to the religion practiced by the characters, there is heavy discussion of the Catholic faith. However, the inclusion of Catholicism in the book should not prevent anyone who is agnostic, atheist, or of a different religion from enjoying the book. None of the religious discussion is conducted in a persuasive manner, and instances in which a character questions his or her religion are done in a respectful and non-offensive manner.

Considering all that I have discussed above, I am honored to award this masterpiece 4 out of 4 stars. This novel is sure to have a profound impact on any reader, and I am grateful for the opportunity to have read and reviewed it.

The Lines Between Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This is an amazing review. You have definitely piqued my interest in this book.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
winecellarlibrary

Bertha Jackson wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 10:47 This is an amazing review. You have definitely piqued my interest in this book.
Thank you! This is one of the best books I have read for OBC. I hope you will read it and find as much enjoyment as I did.
To take us lands away,
Of prancing poetry.
Without oppress of toll;
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
zyxskip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by zyxskip »

You did very well in detailing the storyline of this book. It is very easy to read. Informative in its approach and intriguing on how you present the continuity of the author's thought between the two aspect of the book, the old and the new world. I am intrigued by the thought that Anna was able to understand more her husband by reading his diary, as if one could enter the mind of another through his written words. Is there a connection between the two diaries? Are the family secrets handed down by generations will remain hidden? There are questions to be answered, I hope the book will provide.
winecellarlibrary

zyxskip wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 22:10 You did very well in detailing the storyline of this book. It is very easy to read. Informative in its approach and intriguing on how you present the continuity of the author's thought between the two aspect of the book, the old and the new world. I am intrigued by the thought that Anna was able to understand more her husband by reading his diary, as if one could enter the mind of another through his written words. Is there a connection between the two diaries? Are the family secrets handed down by generations will remain hidden? There are questions to be answered, I hope the book will provide.
Thank you! I tried to be as clear as possible when describing the Old World and the New World. I hope you enjoy the book :)
To take us lands away,
Of prancing poetry.
Without oppress of toll;
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Gbemisola Akinremi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Gbemisola Akinremi »

So well written review this is, I find it interesting that Ana got to know her husband more only after he has passed. You definitely awaken my curiosity as to the connect between Rachel's mother, Ana and then Juliana. Will Rachel find Juliana? I already love the storyline and I hope to read this book soon. Thank you for an absolutely intriguing review.
winecellarlibrary

Gbemisola Akinremi wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 12:52 So well written review this is, I find it interesting that Ana got to know her husband more only after he has passed. You definitely awaken my curiosity as to the connect between Rachel's mother, Ana and then Juliana. Will Rachel find Juliana? I already love the storyline and I hope to read this book soon. Thank you for an absolutely intriguing review.
Thank you for your comment! I hope you enjoy the book! It was an absolute pleasure to read!
To take us lands away,
Of prancing poetry.
Without oppress of toll;
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

A book that definitely intrigues me. Thanks for the great review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

What an interesting way for the author to cover these historical periods! Your review was lovely. Thank you for your recommendation. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Historical Fiction”