Official Review: Let The Children Come by Tom Fay

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Let The Children Come by Tom Fay

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let The Children Come" by Tom Fay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a teenager, George Müller and his father were always at loggerheads over his waywardness. It seemed that the only thing George wanted to do with his life was to party, smoke, and drink. And even though he was bitter that he wasn't by his mother's side when she breathed her last, her death didn't change his lifestyle. In fact, it drew him closer to his best friend, Beta, who was his partner in waywardness.

After George found out about his father's plan to send him to military school, he pretended to be a good son at home while still living his unruly lifestyle at college. On one of his visits back home, George's father told him how much he was proud of him and happy he would soon be a legal practitioner like him. However, George's life seemed to be heading in a different direction after seeing his friend, Beta, again. Beta shocked George with his newfound faith and even invited him to join a Bible study group. Will George forsake his old ways to live a new life in Christ? What are the challenges he must face and things he could accomplish if he accepted Jesus? You have to read Let The Children Come: The Life of George Müller by Tom Fay for the answers to these questions and more.

This book follows the life of the main protagonist, George Müller. Through the use of the third-person point of view, the author tells a compelling story of redemption, faith, love, and total submission to the will of God. Even though some of the events in this novel broke my heart, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I think readers who dislike reading about the death of loved ones might find some of the descriptions in this book disturbing. However, I love how the characters accepted death as a transitional phase into God's kingdom.

I enjoyed Tom Fay's writing style. His narrations flowed seamlessly, and there wasn't any part of the book that got me confused. Since the author's descriptions were easy to understand, I could easily imagine the pictures he wanted me to see. I also had no problems with following the progression of events because it was linear. The dialogues are praiseworthy. I like how the characters' conversations show their empathy, confusion, embarrassment, and other qualities that make them lifelike.

Another aspect of this novel that I appreciated is the author's sense of humor. The tragedies in the book make the bits of humor in it very welcome. I found myself chuckling at some of the funny conversations in the book. Nevertheless, I had a little issue with the characterization. While I must commend the author for not dwelling on characters that didn't contribute much to the plot, I wished for more elaborate backstories of the main ones. Overall, this issue is negligible because it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the novel.

What I liked the most about the book is its reviving message. Readers will appreciate the author's points on the efficacy of prayer and trusting in God to provide for all their needs. My favorite lesson is that we should accept and be at peace with the will of God despite the outcome of events.

In conclusion, I am happy to award Let The Children Come: The Life of George Müller four out of four stars. The issue I had with the book's characterization is not enough to rate it any lower. The novel seems professionally edited, even though I found a few errors in it. I recommend it to readers who enjoy historical fiction books with inspiring messages about repentance, faith, and total submission to God's will.

Let The Children Come
View: on Bookshelves
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

After a wayward life, redemption comes in through the backdoor. A typical but always interesting plot. Great review too
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I have heard a lot of testimonies of people who turned their lives around after accepting Jesus. I wonder what became of George! Intriguing review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The books seems interesting, but I am not sure about reading it. However, I enjoyed discovering your thorough review. Nice job!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

The story seems interesting. I am curious to know what will George do. Thanks for your brilliant review!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

George appears to have Coconut head. I wonder if his shortsightedness will make him heed to his friends idea of joining a Bible study group
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

I'm always a fan of Christian literature. I guess I will enjoy this as well.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Nqobile771 wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 04:08 I have heard a lot of testimonies of people who turned their lives around after accepting Jesus. I wonder what became of George! Intriguing review!
raluca_mihaila wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 09:27 The books seems interesting, but I am not sure about reading it. However, I enjoyed discovering your thorough review. Nice job!
Honest-reviewer wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 09:52 The story seems interesting. I am curious to know what will George do. Thanks for your brilliant review!
GreatReviews wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 09:22 I'm always a fan of Christian literature. I guess I will enjoy this as well.
Excel 2021 wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 00:44 After a wayward life, redemption comes in through the backdoor. A typical but always interesting plot. Great review too
I can't thank you all enough for finding time to read and comment on my review. :tiphat: :tiphat:
Shieldmaiden88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

This sounds like a very classic plot line in the Christian fiction genre. It sounds like the author did an excellent job of presenting a fresh story of a unique character though. Sometimes we all need to be reminded that someone we love who has been living a bad lifestyle for a long time can still be redeemed and turn everything around for good.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

The title of this book piqued my interest . I would love to read the book so that I can find out if George changed his ways. Good review!
Yn_yasrinz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yn_yasrinz »

I guess i will enjoy this as well
The title of this book piqued my interest i will love to reading book .this book good review!
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I first thought the book was about how to bring children to Christ. However, your review said otherwise. It showed the book had more to inform the reader. I love religious books and this one is very thought provoking and highly recommendable for people who wish to come to Christ.
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

This book doesn't seem to be my type of book so I don't think I'll be giving it a shot. Thank you for this lovely review, though!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. George Müller seemed to be a quite uncontrollable person before he found his faith in God. Unfortunately, this genre doesn't appeal to me, so I'm going to skip the book.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This sounds like a captivating book. I wonder how George took his best friend's change. However, this doesn't seem like the book for me.

Return to “Historical Fiction”