Official Review: Scepter of Flint by N.L. Holmes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Re: Official Review: Scepter of Flint by N.L. Holmes

Post by lavkathleen »

Wow, this story is incredibly complex, which I love because there's a lot of aspects to explore and pick apart. I was surprised when I found out that this was the third book of the series; I'm looking forward to the series as a whole now! I'm just hoping it would be a little close to what we know about the society and era that the author is writing about.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Great book! Love the ancient aspect of it and couldn't be better than Egypt. Had me feeling like I am about to watch an equivalent of the 300 movie in my mind. Congrats to the author.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

This really looks like it has a really nice and engaging storyline. Additionally, I really enjoy historical and mystery fiction so I guess I will definitely read this. Thank you so much
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love historical fiction, and this is an interesting period in Egyptian history to write about, especially if you want to put a mystery twist to it. The tensions over the religious changes from Akhenaten’s reign are ripe with dramatic potential, as seen here. I’ll want to read the series in order, but I will definitely add this to my list. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I'm really interested in reading about Egyptian history, so this book sounds appealing to me. Thank you for the review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

At first glance, I thought I'd be confused with the so many names being mentioned, but your review has clarified that. Great storyline, interesting plot with excellent character development. Thank you for your insightful review.
Loise Waithanji
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loise Waithanji »

Isn't it great when you find a book that completely drags you in,makes you fall in love with the characters.. This is one of those books for me..
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I was a little confused reading this review, and then I realized this book is the third installment in a series. Still, the different scenarios and investigations Hani finds himself in makes me want to go back and read the first installment.
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

It's interesting that Neferet is not only helping the king's daughter (even though her family wants the king dead) but she also gets her father, Hani, to help, although unwittingly. There are so many moving parts in this story that make it worth the read.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

Wonderful review. The characters and the plot sound intriguing. I enjoyed reading about Egyptian history and the fact that the book was interwoven with real life events makes this book a must read for me. Thank you.
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

I really appreciated that we could read this book (the third installment) and not feel as if we were missing pertinent information. This made me think of The Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew where you could pick any of the mysteries in the series and not feel lost or confused.
She definitely did an amazing job describing Hani and his family's surroundings. I think I would love to see this come to life on the big screen. I wonder if BBC or something could pick this up as a mini-series? I'm a big fan of Midsummer Murders and all that.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 84149
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1172%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

The 3rd book in the lord Hani mysteries by N.L..holmes, it is an historical cosy mystery set in ancient Egypt

Return to “Historical Fiction”