Review: Call Me Zelda

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sammijo93
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading: After Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammijo93.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Review: Call Me Zelda

Post by Sammijo93 »

Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck is a tale about the wife of F Scott Fitgerald. I read this novel when in a psych ward of a hospital suffering from dissociative episodes. I believe this book helped me cope through those times. I love the focus and the way that this book is written to favor the mentally ill while not glorifying it. We as a society tend to look down on mental illness and it's time to end that stigma.

In the reading, the beloved "Nurse Anna" really is a sad character but her love for Zelda Fitzgerald shines through this story. In the madness, sadness, and tear-jerking tone of this story you also see female empowerment and how much women in the age needed to be put in the limelight; instead of being shoved underneath their male counterparts. There is not all sadness throughout these pages so also be prepared for a romantic air.

I enjoyed the story from the point of view of the nurse at Zelda's side. It gives an air of remorse while also showing purity and unending love for a friend. While the patient-nurse dynamic is tested, you see their bond really face the forefront in the story. I gave it 4 out of 4 stars because of good editing with minor mistakes in spelling that do not interfere with readability. The length of the novel is good but the ending is a quick summary of events. I felt it really should have been a tad bit longer for my taste. Overall, you get a good deal of information about the life of F Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald. I give praise to the author for writing such a beautiful tribute.

Return to “Historical Fiction”