Official Review: Hypersomnolence by Stanley Michelsen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: Hypersomnolence by Stanley Michelsen

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hypersomnolence" by Stanley Michelsen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The discovery of fossil fuel has created power tussles among various countries of the world. The revenue that oil-producing countries generate from petroleum products sales contributes to a high percentage of their wealth.

To cripple the American economy and inflate oil prices globally, the Russian and the Arabian governments infiltrate the American territory with a deadly plan. When dead bodies start turning up in Sidney Krogh's dreams, he looks further to uncover a plot that might cause more deaths and long term damage to the United States of America, particularly to Alaska. He subconsciously takes up the responsibility of putting together a team to prevent the attack. Will the team succeed in avoiding the attack?

Hypersomnolence? is a beautiful work of fiction written by Stanley K. Michelsen. The author was casual in his tone, and his military experience came to bear in this book. It made the book seem real and relatable. I was able to grasp the story as the words painted beautiful pictures in my head. The style of writing made it easy to read and understand the book. It was a fun-filled read with a lot of thrills and actions.

What I liked most about the book was how easily I could flow with and understand the narrative. The author, through his descriptive writing style, explained some terms that could have overwhelmed me. This ensured I wasn't lost as the story unfolded. The author's sense of humor added spice to my overall enjoyment of this book. Ultimately, it was a very smooth and exciting read.

While I had fun reading the book, there were a few niggling issues that might be unsettling to readers. First, it was challenging getting a hold on the story within the first few chapters. Although the author's tone was easy, the arrangement of scenes caused a little confusion. There was no apparent disparity between the conscious and subconscious states of the protagonist. Secondly, the book lacked suspense, and the author's attempt at a plot twist was weak.

The third thing, and what I disliked most about this book, was the author's subtle disrespect of a particular religious belief. This could be seen in the following lines:
He had no plan of blowing himself to pieces for forty virgins, even fifty virgins, because he knew how foolish it was for anyone to believe in such nonsense...that was reserved for the insipid fools who would follow anyone that spoke the word Allah in a loud voice.
These lines came off as derogatory and an attempt at religious prejudice. Ardent followers of Islam would find this insulting and disrespectful. It took me a while to get back into the book after I saw this.

The book was professionally edited, as I couldn't find any error in it. I rate it three out of four stars due to the issues I talked about in the last two paragraphs. I would recommend this book to those who love action thrillers.

Hypersomnolence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Wow, I liked your review, this seems to be a very enjoyable book, I would like to read it in future. Thanks for the detailed review
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The title caught my attention which made me drop by and check out the review. The advice regarding religion made me more curious.

Thank you for your insightful review.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Nice review, I enjoyed reading it.
Live and let live, baby.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Your review is sincere which is a characteristic of a dope reviewer. I also feel you generally did a good job. Thank you.
kasfy_allama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasfy-allama.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by kasfy_allama »

I like your review as it contains some details about the story and the writing style. You communicate what you think and feel about this book very well. Thank you for the warning of sensitive content related to certain belief.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

This book sounds interesting as the fights between countries over oil and minerals truly is a deadly one. Your review is detailed and offers a window to peek into the book. Thanks.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Blu_Poison
Favorite Book: Dorian Gray
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Blu_Poison »

Great review; very fair and honest. The book does seem to be an interesting read, however I do feel that a disdain for those who would commit the atrocious, murderous acts of terrorism and destruction in the name of even Allah is almost appropriate. Thus if that is the subject of disdain and it is merely directed at that, then I would sympathize with the author.
Karishma Sivnath
Favorite Book: Unexpected Enemy
Currently Reading: Walking Disaster
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karishma-sivnath.html
Latest Review: Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle

Post by Karishma Sivnath »

That's a good review of the book. It makes me want to add it to my reading list. I like that you mentioned the religious bit as it alerts me to proceed with caution and an open mind.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

I really liked the book by the review. A great plot with some interesting mission. I would like to read this one.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review was very thoughtful and well-written! Awesome job!!

Today's BOTD is a action-packed thriller with elements of romance, history, and even some humor for good measure! The detailed scenes make readers feel they are part of the story, alongside each of the characters as the events unfold. I'm not really sure if this is the one for me, but I've downloaded my copy, just in case. Thank you again for the helpful review and keep up the great work! :-)
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

A mystery around the Russians and Arabians planning a terrorist attack against the United States sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting action thriller that uses issues taken directly from current news such as fossil fuels, international tensions, and terrorism to build a story that also digs into the human mind, conscious and unconscious. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Days are too sunny now for a book with a snow on the cover! I'm also not interested in the subject of it, but you did a great job on the review. I understand your dislike for offensive religious approach - even though I consider myself an atheist and I do agree with author that belief in fifty heavenly virgins is ridiculous, I wouldn't dare to go so far to make such a blunt statement as the author did. Just out of respect to other people.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

An interesting story line coupled with the protagonist’s dreams and their relation to actual events and deaths makes for an exciting read for fans of this genre. I can see how the narrative for the conscious and subconscious states of the protagonist could be a bit confusing for some readers. Thanks for the good review of this novel.

Return to “Historical Fiction”