Official Review: The Secret Forgotten by E.J. Andrews

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: The Secret Forgotten by E.J. Andrews

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret Forgotten" by E.J. Andrews.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secret Forgotten by E.J. Andrews is a fictional book that discusses real-life scenarios experienced as far back as the late 19th century. The story kicks off in two different periods, a century apart. First, it talks about how Cammie falls in love with an attorney, Darwin, who she enlists to uncover a secret kept by her dead grandfather. In a twist, it turns out that there is a relationship between this secret and a famous baseball player, Babe Ruth. The second period of the story talks about the career, lifestyle, and struggles of Babe. It talks about how he has to keep a secret to protect his image. Cammie and Darwin struggle to make sense of the pieces of information that they uncover and face a different challenge as they draw closer to the truth.

The author writes Babe’s story in the early 1900s. Although Babe is ill-tempered and proud, he has a few lovable traits like his drive and determination to succeed. He is confident in his abilities as a baseball player and is what some would term “a legend.” Timed in the early 2000s, Cammie is an energetic and independent woman who will do just about anything to honor her grandad’s wishes. These two characters act as protagonists in these different periods.

Although switching between the two different periods was quite demanding, I loved the exceptional interplay. The author executed it beautifully. The constant switch between the periods keeps the reader on his toes, guessing what would happen next. It was also evident that the author did enough research on the situations that are obtainable in these different periods. It makes the write-up more believable. She used colloquialisms that enable the reader to grasp the true nature of the characters, and she did this wonderfully. Finally, I liked the way the author developed the characters. The characters were embodied perfectly from a chunk of research data.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. The writer did an exceptional job of editing. I hardly found any errors while reading. The errors found were inconsequential and few. Finally, the organization of the chapters was done well by the author.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the author created what is truly the definition of a work of art. Although the reading process was quite demanding, it was worth every penny of the stress. The book is suitable for people of all religions and ages, as there were no profane words used throughout the book. I recommend the book to people who appreciate fictional thrillers and stories that talk about some of the human rights issues we experience in the world.

The Secret Forgotten
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

Book written from researches can be quite enlightening. I appreciate your review.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I like it when an author takes has back to those years, this sounds like a great book, as it contains variety of themes, I'll read this. Great review
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The storyline is very interesting. Thanks for the review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I was wondering how the author managed to merge two different stories seamlessly, but I guess he managed to pull it of. Nice review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I would have thought that reading a book with two different timelines - a century apart - would be quite confusing but I can see the author did well to avoid it. Thank you Prospero for this detailed review.
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

Such an amazing book which is also very well edited? Oh you have me there. I loved every bit of your review, very well structured and wonderfully constructed. Thanks!
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Conducting research on Babe Ruth before writing this book was the best move that the author could have made, in my opinion. Historical fiction that has realism in it makes it more attractive and relatable. Nice review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Surovi879
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Surovi879 »

It is an outstanding book. I read every part of your book review. I just loved the book review. This review was structured and constructed very well. Thank you.

Return to “Historical Fiction”