Official Review: A Russian in the American Army - WWII

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Official Review: A Russian in the American Army - WWII

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Russian in the American Army - WWII" by Karl Thomson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the title suggests, A Russian in the American Army - WWII chronicles one man’s experiences in the United States military. Alexander Vetov is the son of Russian immigrants and was among the first American forces to storm the beaches of Normandy in 1944. An effective leader and talented strategist, he earned the respect of his soldiers and superiors. Even after the invasion, the fighting in Europe was relentless and seemed to grow more intense as the Germans realized they had nothing left to lose. Alex becomes part of an intelligence unit after the war as the threat of communism leads to other conflicts and brings the United States again into costly and devastating conflicts. As a White Russian, he is loyal to his homeland as it was before the Russian Revolution and finds himself in a pivotal position to provide invaluable insight for American intelligence units to stand against the spread of communism.

Author Karl Thomson transports readers to another time, and this shows in the writing from the beginning as the family boards a steamship to Ellis Island. Descriptions of the setting such as the peaceful Dutch countryside and care-free days at school create an enticing background and an ominous tone for the widespread destruction and loss of life that will blanket the entire continent a few short years later. The author effectively captures military culture, and I found his descriptions to be quite realistic and compelling. Examples of this include the unique relationship between soldiers of different ranks, common operating procedures for combat patrols, and the importance of keeping morale up among the soldiers.

The best part of this book is the author’s detailed inclusion of familiar historical events. President Eisenhower and General Patton are among some of our national leaders who make appearances in the story, and infamous battles in Europe are the backdrop for the book's plot. I found myself reading sections over and over again for two reasons. First, I just could not wrap my mind around what I was reading. Anyone who has ever pondered the reality of post-traumatic stress should read this book; few words can even begin to portray the carnage many soldiers have witnessed. I also had to stop reading a few times to do my own research on the many poignant details. Were the last words soldiers heard before landing on Utah Beach from President Eisenhower himself? I also did not know about the unique role of the French civilians, the formidable German arsenal of weapons, or the extensive slave labor in Asia.

The only negative thing I can say about this book is the editing. I noted numerous errors that seemed to increase in frequency the further I read. This was a little distracting because many of the errors involve punctuation. For this reason only, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars; the description of the setting, the capture of timeless themes, and the immersion in history described above was extraordinary, and I really didn’t want it to end.

I recommend this book to mature readers who really enjoy military history, particularly those who do not mind some violence and graphic content associated with the perils of war. Readers who are looking for a character-driven novel may not enjoy it because there is a lot of technical information about military life and machinery. Some knowledge of modern history, including the Russian Revolution and wars involving the United States is helpful. Overall, this is an engaging and informative read that has given me a better understanding of the scope of our military forces, the sacrifices they make, and the scars many of them carry.

A Russian in the American Army - WWII
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laurakish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurakish.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Laurakish »

Sounds like a complicated read....the title of the book is catching thou. a Russian in the American Army, I'm not sure it would interest me thou.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

A catchy title with a complex plot aimed at a simple theme of loyalty. Great review
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I have never read a military history book before, but I might give this book a try. I hope the author can put the book through another round of editing though. Thanks for the thorough review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like a fascinating read and seems to relate to a few areas I’ve been studying.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

The underlying themes of the novel like loyalty are beautiful. I may find this book dry. Hope it appeals to the recommended audience. Appreciate the review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Shyri1109
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shyri1109.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by Shyri1109 »

interesting topic everything related to the second world war I am passionate about
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

Having read a bit about the Normandy landings I'll be interested to read about this author's version of the events given that he has a Russian heritage. Nice review.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

This is a compelling and complicated story. I can only imagine the conflicting emotions of Alex.

Great review.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Shyri1109 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 03:02 interesting topic everything related to the second world war I am passionate about
If you love WW2, you will love this book and find out things you didn't know!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Now this looks like a quite rich plot. I am all up for reading this one. Great review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Historical accounts don't interest me much. The review was insightful though.

Return to “Historical Fiction”