Official Review: The Lightning Horse by N.L. Holmes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Official Review: The Lightning Horse by N.L. Holmes

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lightning Horse" by N.L. Holmes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Historical fiction tends to focus on periods that might be familiar to readers. We so often become intrigued by what famous historical figures may have thought and said, and authorial liberties allow us to view history in more color than a textbook would provide. In my experience, books written by N.L. Holmes veer away from the norm of familiar times and people, and they are increasingly interesting for that fact. The Lightning Horse is no exception.

This book takes place around 1250 B.C. in Hatti Land, a nation that encompassed what we recognize today to be Turkey and parts of Syria. It follows the story of Tiwatipara, a charioteer in service of the Hittite king. Charioteers hold high positions in the royal court, and everything appears to be working in Tiwatipara's favor until a horrendous accident tears his family apart. Convinced that the mishap is his fault, Tiwatipara spends years punishing himself. When new information comes to light, he finds the potential to be the man that grief had destroyed. However, his path is littered with obstacles, and he runs the risk of losing everything and everyone that he loves.

The Lightning Horse is a book of treachery, royal secrets, and political maneuvering that kept me hovering on the edge of my seat all the way through. The characters are easily distinguishable by their personalities, even though many have similarly hyphenated names in the ancient Indo-European style. There are quite a few long and complicated names to commit to memory, but because the narration is so descriptive and rich, it is not a difficult task to master. Ancient Asia Minor truly comes to life through the setting, which is described all the way through the story in gorgeous detail. For example, on page 15, the author writes, "Only an occasional ruffle of equine breath or the scrape of hooves disturbed the heavy golden quiet of the place, with its straw-covered floors and mote-filled air."

The only issue that I found in this book was related to character dialogue, but it could be interpreted in two different ways. The author's occasional use of words like "vehicle" and "siesta" (which were not invented until the seventeenth century) seemed oddly out of place in the otherwise immersive world. Of course, it can be argued that since the ancient Hittites would not have been speaking English, their words are only equivalent to the English language. Therefore, the inclusion of modern English words could make perfect sense.

The Lightning Horse is a remarkably complete book. A colorful and fast-paced plot is filled with twists and turns, and the characters are easy to relate to. I found only a single typographical error in the entire book. Because the only problem I encountered is subjective, I have decided to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The sexual activity is minimal, though the characters do tend to talk about sex a fair amount. The profanity is heavy due to the conflict-filled circumstances of the plot. Readers who crave historical fiction full of intrigue will love The Lightning Horse, and they might learn something new about one of the more obscure parts of humanity's past as well!

The Lightning Horse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! This seems like an interesting and exciting book to read.
Amy Murdoch Coleman

Samgum50 wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 05:29 Great review! This seems like an interesting and exciting book to read.
Thanks so much! Every book I've read by this author has been really interesting. Definitely worth checking out!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

A rich and immersion world, I'd love to read this book. Also, I love to read about ancient times. Thanks for the awesome review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Amy Murdoch Coleman

Ekabajong wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 18:36 A rich and immersion world, I'd love to read this book. Also, I love to read about ancient times. Thanks for the awesome review.
I definitely think it's a really easy book to get hooked on. Thanks for stopping by!
Ballbender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ballbender.html
Latest Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Post by Ballbender »

I like the use of countries and locations in this book. This book is best enjoyed by adults since it has sexual content. The book is well structured.
Amy Murdoch Coleman

Ballbender wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 19:25 I like the use of countries and locations in this book. This book is best enjoyed by adults since it has sexual content. The book is well structured.
It's definitely very geographically diverse! The books I've read by this author tend to deal with places I'd never consider otherwise. Thanks for stopping by :)
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I generally don't read historical fiction, but this one peeks my interest. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

I know about the Hittites only what I read about their complicated relationship with ancient Egyptians, which means that such information might be at last partially distorted by an Egyptian point of view. Hittites had a powerful empire, yet today tend to be overlooked in history studies, so this novel is intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do enjoy historical fiction, and after reading your review, I think this book would be one I would enjoy. I will have to take a look at it. Thanks for a great review!
Amy Murdoch Coleman

Letora wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 05:29 I generally don't read historical fiction, but this one peeks my interest. Great review!
Thanks so much!
Amy Murdoch Coleman

NetMassimo wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 07:18 I know about the Hittites only what I read about their complicated relationship with ancient Egyptians, which means that such information might be at last partially distorted by an Egyptian point of view. Hittites had a powerful empire, yet today tend to be overlooked in history studies, so this novel is intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
I had no historical background on the Hittites before getting into this book, so I'm sure that insider knowledge would make it even more interesting! Thanks for stopping by :)
Amy Murdoch Coleman

Prisallen wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 08:22 I do enjoy historical fiction, and after reading your review, I think this book would be one I would enjoy. I will have to take a look at it. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for stopping by :)
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

Your review is so fascinating. I guess I'll spare some time to look into it
Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Post by Fernando222 »

I’m glad to know that this book, as well as the author, possess extraordinarily artistic qualities. Your review is incisive.

Return to “Historical Fiction”