Official Review: Lily Fairchild by Don Gutteridge

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Lily Fairchild by Don Gutteridge

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lily Fairchild" by Don Gutteridge.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lily Fairchild, written by Don Gutteridge, has two parts. At the beginning of the first one, in 1845, Lily is a child who lives on a farm in Canada; she has just lost her mother. A little later, due to political trouble, Lily and her father have to abandon the homestead and run away. She gets sent to live with her Aunt Bridie near Port Sarnia, where she happily grows up, gets married, and bears children. In the second part of the book, Lily is near the end of her life; this older Lily (now referred to as Granny) reminisces about her eventful life.

The book has several positive aspects. I liked that it gives a nice overview of the historical and political events that transpired in Canada during the second half of the nineteenth century. For instance, readers learn that by 1860, the Great Western moved more than 800,000 passengers a year in Upper Canada. Also during that year, Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, Queen Victoria’s firstborn son, visited Canada, part of Her Majesty’s dominions. The author excels at the account of how, “after twenty-five years of mutual incompatibility,” the arranged marriage of the two Canadas seemed to be heading toward divorce.

What I liked the most about the book was its poetic language. The story is full of symbolism, and Lily is a strong and intuitive woman. For instance, a cameo with the sketch of her grandmother’s face accompanies her throughout the story, as do other amulets. The cameo plays a touching role at the end, but no spoilers are allowed!

I also loved the part where Lily learns the language and traditions of her native stepmom (a Chippewa named Penaseweushig, aka Birdsky) and her son, Waupoore (Rabbit). The author’s depiction of the native culture in Canada was a noteworthy positive point.

On the other hand, I found some segments of the book a bit confusing, especially in the second part. The protagonist changes her name a few times, and the timeline of her memories is somewhat fuzzy and repetitive. This aspect was what I disliked the most.

In closing, I rate Lily Fairchild 3 out of 4 stars. I’m subtracting a star from the rating due to the rather convoluted second part of the book. Otherwise, it was a good read that I recommend to those who enjoy epic family sagas. If you’re interested in the history of Canada, you should also consider taking a look at it. It is not a book for younger readers, though, for it has profanity and a fair share of adult themes.

Lily Fairchild
View: on Bookshelves
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I am intrigued by the references to the cameo--sounds like an engaging read!
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I enjoy learning about countries and their cultures; I'm glad the author touched on Native Canadian culture. Great review.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I love historical fiction, particularly stories set in the 20th century. I'm really fascinated with that era as it was a really eventful century in history. I'll love to read Lily Fairchild.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Having the book written in two parts is a really interesting decision on the author’s part. I like the idea of being able to see Lily as both a child and as an adult. Sometimes I’ll read a book and wonder, “I wonder how this kid turned out…?” So, I like knowing that will be a feature. I don’t really know about the history of Canada or its native culture, now that I think about it, so I think this might be a good book for me to learn a bit from! Thanks for the great review!
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

I liked that the book has poetic language and the author has used symbolism for effective portray of events. Might give this one a try. Thanks for the nice review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

This seems like a very appealing book to read and Lily seems like a remarkable character to read about. Great review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Your review has really intrigued my interest in reading this book. Thanks for the amazing review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”