Official Review: Almost Tomorrow by Sean Martin McQuade

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Official Review: Almost Tomorrow by Sean Martin McQuade

Post by Aniza Butt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Almost Tomorrow" by Sean Martin McQuade.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Almost Tomorrow by Sean Martin McQuade requires some knowledge about the partition of India to be understood completely. After colonizing for decades, the British left India in August 1947, and the region was divided into two independent states: India (the Hindu-majority state) and Pakistan (the Muslim-majority state). Most of the Muslims migrated to Pakistan, and thousands of the Hindus migrated to India. The extremists in both countries massacred millions of people in the name of religion.

Parveen (an Anglo-Indian girl) and her sister, Bulbul, narrowly escaped a massacre happening in their hometown in 1947 and ran off to Lahore where they were sold to a brick-kiln master by a deceitful friend. Trapped in bonded labour, Parveen now lives in Thar (Sindh, Pakistan) along with her extended family. Her grandson Imran is supposedly kidnapped by human smugglers and is sent to UAE to work as a camel jockey with another kidnapped boy named Tariq. Shortly afterwards, both of them are helped to escape back to Pakistan. On their way back home, they are taken away by Afghan nomads to supply ammunition for Soviet-Afghan war. What fortune has in store for Imran and Tariq? What became of Bulbul?

The only thing I liked about this book was the description of the arrival of trains at the railway stations in Pakistan. The author described that scene so vividly that I could create a clear picture of the station in my mind.

The most displeasing thing about this book was that it was not only poorly researched but also misleading. For example, the author stated that the GT Road in the Indian subcontinent was built by the British, while it was built by Sher Shah Suri back in the 16th century. In another paragraph, the author claimed that there was "surprisingly less" violence on the Indian side of the border during the partition, which meant that the Muslim causalities were very low. But the facts are totally different. In a letter to Gandhi (Indian independence leader), Nehru (the first prime minister of India) wrote that the Muslim casualties were twice as high in East Punjab than the Hindu and Sikh casualties collectively in West Punjab. According to the British high commissioner in Karachi, approximately 800,000 Muslims were killed trying to enter West Punjab. According to Gyanendra Pandey (a Hindu historian), 20,000 to 25,000 Muslims were massacred in Delhi. A genocide was launched against the Muslims in Jammu and Kashmir, and countless Muslims were killed in the name of religion.

The author also claims that the Muslims (especially Arabs) are forbidden to eat camel meat, and the one who eats it is considered unclean. But in reality, they are not forbidden at all to eat camel meat. Muslim countries like Sudan and Saudi Arabia are the top consumers of camel meat in the world.

The characters of this book didn't seem realistic. Back in the 1980s, the rural people of Pakistan didn't even know much about the urban areas, and in this book, they seemed to know a lot about the politics and geography of the European countries, which was strange. The writing style of the author also wasn't tempting at all. The dialogues were bland and tedious which dragged the conversations unnecessarily. And on top of that, there were a lot of errors which interrupted the flow of the story.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. There are three reasons for this rating: the plenty of errors, the misleading statements, and the author's subtle support for colonialism. According to the author, the colonial government was ideal, and the people of India loved being subjugated, which is ridiculous. If it was so, why did the Indians run the independence movement? The author needs to know that the world is done with colonialism. In this century, we don't subjugate people; rather, we respect their freedom. I won't recommend this book to anyone, but if you have an imperialist mindset, you can give it a try.

Almost Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Bonded labour, human smugglers, Afghan nomads, and camel jockeys. Wow, what a complex mix of difficult and eclectic themes; at least there were the trains. And thank you for the added clarifications of facts and history surrounding this topic. I learned a lot just from reading your review!
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 02:40 Bonded labour, human smugglers, Afghan nomads, and camel jockeys. Wow, what a complex mix of difficult and eclectic themes; at least there were the trains. And thank you for the added clarifications of facts and history surrounding this topic. I learned a lot just from reading your review!
Combo of all these themes could be amazing if the author had done a bit more research. And thanks for appreciating AvidBibliophile 😊
`Darkling`
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I've read a great book about the partition of India a long time ago, so this one could've made for an excellent sequel. It's too bad the author seems to have quite a biased view. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry that this one was not to your liking. It sounds like a good premise, but it needs a lot of work. I guess I'll skip it on your advice. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

Tomah wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 13:33 I've read a great book about the partition of India a long time ago, so this one could've made for an excellent sequel. It's too bad the author seems to have quite a biased view. Thanks for the review!
The partition of India was the reason behind choosing this book as i had heard stories about the partition from my father, who had migrated from India to Pakistan in 1947. But i was very disappointed to know that the author's point of view was biased.
Thanks a lot for stopping by and reading my review Tomah☺.
`Darkling`
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 19:32 I'm sorry that this one was not to your liking. It sounds like a good premise, but it needs a lot of work. I guess I'll skip it on your advice. Thanks.
The premise was great but the author's bias ruined it all.
Thank you for commenting Kandscreeley ☺.
`Darkling`
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This is a really important time in history that people don't know enough about. It's really a shame that the author couldn't do the topic justice. Thank you for your honest review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I didn't know that India and Pakistan were initially one state. I have also gained a lot of insight in the facts that you have provided in contrast to the author's information. I'm impressed that you went out of your own way to research for the information.
Well done!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The only thing I liked about this book was the description of the arrival of trains at the railway stations in Pakistan
Lol!
It's annoying when an author mixes up facts and is biased. Would have been an enlightening book. Already, I learnt so much from you.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

unamilagra wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 23:31 This is a really important time in history that people don't know enough about. It's really a shame that the author couldn't do the topic justice. Thank you for your honest review!
Yeah it was very important but the author treated this topic so carelessly, which made me give it only 1 star.
Thanks a lot for stopping by and reading my review Unamilagra ☺.
`Darkling`
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 00:34 I didn't know that India and Pakistan were initially one state. I have also gained a lot of insight in the facts that you have provided in contrast to the author's information. I'm impressed that you went out of your own way to research for the information.
Well done!
Thanks a lot for appreciating Kanda ☺
`Darkling`
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

Cotwani wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 03:45
The only thing I liked about this book was the description of the arrival of trains at the railway stations in Pakistan
Lol!
It's annoying when an author mixes up facts and is biased. Would have been an enlightening book. Already, I learnt so much from you.
It was annoying and also painful because the author was biased against my country and its people.
Thanks a lot for stopping by and reading my review Cotwani☺.
`Darkling`
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It's too bad that this book was so poorly researched, and the characters were unbelievable. It's hard to believe in this day and age that there are still people who believe colonialism is a good thing. I enjoyed reading your review, as always! Great job!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow, great review! This is one book I will definitely not be reading. Thanks for the informative review Aniza.

Return to “Historical Fiction”