Official Review: Bedu: Bedouin Boy, Poet King

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Bedu: Bedouin Boy, Poet King

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bedu: Bedouin Boy, Poet King" by David W. Sutherland and Paul McKellips.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Bedu: Bedouin Boy, Poet King, written by David W. Sutherland and Paul McKellips, the story of a young shepherd provides the background for an original book about virtue, ethics, and leadership. Bedu’s journey forms the center of the narrative, and it is full of enchanting adventure.

This delightful tale begins simple enough, around 30 AD, with twenty-one-year-old Bedu living a modest life with his family in Damascus. Everything changes when King Melchior unexpectedly arrives at their humble home with his army and also his granddaughter Yasmin. To Bedu’s dismay, his father (Abbas) spends everything he has to accommodate the visitors. During their stay, Bedu learns things that happened thirty years before. Melchior narrates how he then left Persia on a camel to follow a star. At the same time, Abbas was traveling to Hebron to purchase sheep. While camped in Bethlehem, Abbas met Melchior and his two companions (Gaspar and Balthasar) coming back from their journey. Before Melchior leaves, he asks Bedu to do two things. First, to check on Yasmin in Bsharri during the winter. Second, Bedu is to travel the path to Hebron to replenish his father’s stock.

Underneath the sheer simplicity of this poetic fable, the authors masterfully weave a wealth of ancient history and myth, using historical and biblical events and places as background. Their knowledge of the Middle East is evident, and it shows in the detailed descriptions of Bsharri, Damascus, and Hebron, which are nodal points of the region. For instance, traces of the majestic cedars in the forest of God, planted by Yasmin in the story, exist to this day in Lebanon.

Throughout the journey, with each difficulty encountered, Bedu meditates on one of seven principles: Collaborate, Understanding, Leadership, Treat, Unleash, Respect, Evolve (CULTURE). The authors point out how not only individuals but also organizations can benefit from these lessons.

But above all, the subtle biblical references give a unique flavor to the book. The allusions to the story of the three wise men (Magi) from the East who visited Jesus right after his birth are endearing. Bedu’s life-changing encounter with a remarkable man on the northwestern shore of the Sea of Galilee, near Capernaum, is the book’s climax, but I won’t give away more than that!

I rate this singular book 4 out of 4 stars without hesitation. It is a poetic fable with valuable lessons for individuals, families, and organizations alike. It seems professionally edited, and there’s nothing I didn’t like about it. I recommend it to readers who enjoy simple but profoundly symbolic tales. I also believe it could appeal to parents, leaders, and coaches of all kinds, as a basis for discussions about values and leadership.

Bedu: Bedouin Boy, Poet King
View: on Bookshelves
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Your description of this book has piqued my curiosity. I think I would like this simple but profoundly symbolic tale. Thank you for your review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Oh cool. Books like these are nice to read because they open up Biblical times to a wider range of PoVs that show just how far Jesus' influence would have spread even without a lot of direct contact. I kind of like that.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I really liked the historical setting of the book. It was great to read the description of the way they lived back then. Probably not completely accurate, but sweet regardless.
Authentic Voice
Favorite Book: Selling with Presence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authentic-voice.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Authentic Voice »

Indeed this is a heart warming tale. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”